Still wide open about my July turns.

Mont Avila leftovers.
Timberline
Blackcomb
Bachelor?
Crystal?
Mammoth?
The Yukon???

That's surprising. Jackson and Bridger are below average this season but still in the 90% range. Of course it's moderately likely that Beartooth's snowpack has been decreasing over the past 3+ weeks of abnormally warm weather. Still it's surprising the snowpack is low enough already to make that call now not to open. In a much worse snow year last season the call not to open was made on May 6.

I have some friends who live in nearby Red Lodge and the season there was horrible with very low snowfall. Something like 50% or even less.

Indeed, Red Lodge had a horrible year. They got a huge dump a couple weeks ago which helped their numbers look a little less pathetic, but like EMSC said, way below their seasonal avg.

I remember watching a story last year (did a quick search and found it) about the disappearing snow fields in the Beartooth's.

http://www.kulr8.com/story/30137369/bea ... ng-climate

p.s. it's been 80 here in Whitefish 4 times already this year. 86 is the predicted high tomorrow.

The extreme nature of the 2015 winter/spring to little surprise led to melting out of some previously permanent snowfields in the Beartooths per snowave's reference. Permanent for perhaps 700-1000 years based upon the bison bones exposed by the snowmelt.

I doubt the poma lifts on the Beartooth Highway are located on formerly permanent snow. Even in big years those pomas would close in early July. Pics from my report viewtopic.php?t=11007 show the end was near (Beartooth closed 3 days after our visit) in June 22 in 2013.

We know now that both 2015 and 2016 were terrible years in Red Lodge/Beartooth, so I have moderate confidence that the Beartooth area will return to action in normal or better snow years. I'm sure we'll find out if the predicted La Nina for 2017 materializes.

Back