Alta (& a bit of Snowbird) March & April 2016 in pictures

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Days 55-68.

Today the season came to a close at Alta, while there are a few weeks remaining at Snowbird it will be on a more limited basis than usual as the Tram and all of Peruvian Gulch will remain closed while workers replace the tram's haul cable.

So now that it's pretty much done for me, here are the past few weeks -- just in photos.

March 19: Both AmyZ and Telejon got leied in Watsons. Right there in the coffee shop! Jon even got leied twice.

March 19: Riding the Kitty.

March 19: Beach party at Watson's.

March 19: Rdwore and AmyZ

March 19: Ready for a mass assault on High Boy.

March 19: mrgskier on High Boy

March 19: Celebrating a great day on the GMD patio.

March 19: 5 p.m. at GMD

March 20: An East Castle Gun Tower picnic.

March 20: Hiking Baldy

March 20: Hiking Baldy

March 23: AmyZ in Susie's Trees

March 26: Albion Basin.

March 30: Collins and Wildcat.

March 30: Patsy Marley

April 1: Albion Gully.

April 1: Evan Thayer in Patsy Marley.

April 1: Mineral Basin Express.

April 1: Snowbird's new building The Summit, atop Hidden Peak.

April 1: A stairwell with a view.

April 1: Atop Hidden Peak.

April 2: Wildcat base.

April 2: Devil's Castle.

April 2: Time for another East Castle Gun Tower picnic! Pictured: kingslug and rdwore.

April 3: Talia plays Watson's.

April 3: Tailgate time! L to R: TheOtherAmy, AmyZ, jtran, rdwore, Kay, Arnie.

April 9: Devil's Elbow.

April 9.

April 9.

April 10.

April 10: One final ride on Supreme this season.

April 16: Riding Collins above Schuss Gully.

April 16: Big slides in Gunsight and Thirds.

April 16: Mark from California in High Stoner.

April 17: Telejon and Skidog ski delightful untracked powder in Devil's Castle.

April 17: A rare sight -- the Wildcat line is huge, and Collins is deserted...and it's all because of the annual Frank Party.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYSB-T6kbno[/video]
April 17: The setup for this year's Frank Party.

April 17: Crowds for this year's "First Alta Closing Day."

April 23: 10 a.m. and I'm literally the only person inside Goldminer's Daughter.

April 23: 10 a.m. and no one on the hill, either.

April 24: Pre-opening on closing day with 13" of new snow, and the natives are restless.

April 24: It was hard to *not* find untracked this morning. Skier: Bobby Danger.

April 24: Every closing day should ski this well. Skier: Evan Thayer.

Evan enjoys his first Park City Hooker.

Aprl 24: Parking lot BBQ for lunch! L to R: TheOtherAmy, Evan, Skidog.

April 24: Hangin' out on closing day. L to R: Evan, Bobby Danger, rdwore, Corey, TheOtherAmy, AmyZ and Skidog.

April 24: Arriving at the High Boy party at 4:30.

April 24: Skidog and Tim at the High Boy party.

April 24: rdwore at the High Boy party.

April 24: At the High Boy party.

April 24: Even Alta GM Onno Wieringa visited the High Boy party this year.

April 24: 6 p.m. and time to wrap up another season.

Great pix, Marc! I wish our gang could have joined you for last day at Alta and 13" of fresh! We did our last day at Sugarbush on the shaved ice, a stark contrast to the fantastic skiing we had in LCC this year. But it was day 113 for me...and perhaps I will end my season on that prime number.

Wish you could've been here, too, but thanks for leaving so that we could receive the 13". :wink:

Great pictures, looks like fun times!

Do I need to upload my pictures to a hosting site and link to them to do a report like that?

Admin":34a8eh0h said:
...the Tram and all of Peruvian Gulch will remain closed while workers replace the tram's haul cable.
The 4 track (ie: support) cables - a much larger task than the haul cable (which was replaced circa 2006).
Fun facts: the track cables weigh 12 lbs per foot. Each cable is 8600'. Trucks will be hauling 20 ton spools up and down Peruvian Gulch.

q":1594bmdx said:
Do I need to upload my pictures to a hosting site and link to them to do a report like that?
No, you can upload directly to FTO - provided the images don't exceed the max dimensions and file size allowed, which is, um, stated somewhere around here.....

Marc_C":3ojw20pt said:
q":3ojw20pt said:
No, you can upload directly to FTO - provided the images don't exceed the max dimensions and file size allowed, which is, um, stated somewhere around here.....

There's a limit of I believe 12 hosted files per post, to not overload the site's SQL server. To insert 54 photos like I did, then yes...use a hosting site. I prefer Google Photos because my phone automatically uploads photos I've taken to GP. What's in question is what will happen when GP soon turns off the lights on the now-deprecated Picasa. At the moment, the only way to get a link to insert into a post is by viewing the album in Picasa. Hopefully Google will add that link functionality to GP before they close Picasa for good.

Marc_C":3bqkoycu said:
Admin":3bqkoycu said:
...the Tram and all of Peruvian Gulch will remain closed while workers replace the tram's haul cable.
The 4 track (ie: support) cables - a much larger task than the haul cable (which was replaced circa 2006).
Fun facts: the track cables weigh 12 lbs per foot. Each cable is 8600'. Trucks will be hauling 20 ton spools up and down Peruvian Gulch.

Thanks. I thought that it was the track cables, but then I was convinced otherwise by others.

I have definitely loaded more than 12 pics to an FTO trip report. What are the pixel and MB size limits now?

For public posts the maximum number of attached files is 12. For PMs that number is 5. (You may have gotten away with more because of your Moderator status, I'm not sure.) The image pixel size no longer has any limit, and file size is now limited only by our PHP configuration...which for all intents and purposes means that it's unlimited, because that number is bigger than any JPEG that you're likely to come up with.

Admin":20rdjyg0 said:
The image pixel size no longer has any limit, and file size is now limited only by our PHP configuration...which for all intents and purposes means that it's unlimited, because that number is bigger than any JPEG that you're likely to come up with.
My ski camera takes pics at 4000x3000 pixels. Heretofore I've had to cut them down to 1000x750 to post on FTO. In my just posted report I tried to load the pics as is, but no dice. I then cut 50% to 2000x1500 and succeeded. So the size limits have increased but there's still a limit somewhere.

The old pixel limit was 1024. Silly me, I assumed the new one was 2048. My recent TR failed to upload pics at 2040. I resized those, tried again with another FAIL, found a cropped pic at 1026, cut that one and finally succeeded. This was not a fun exercise at 1AM.

A few comments:
1) When you load pics and one of them is too big, the ENTIRE UPLOAD FAILS! Why don't the properly sized pics load and only the too big one fail? Hunting down the culprit(s) is much more tedious when you don't know which or how many pics failed.
2) Surely Moore's Law applies to server storage these days. Other Forums will accept any size pics.
3) As far as cost of server space is concerned, the FTO Forums aren't exactly overrun with posts these days. The cost saving of whatever the picture limit is must be trivial at the current level of traffic.

Back