Mammoth, May 4-6, 2016

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Unsettled weather was predicted May 4-8, mostly cloudy with an inch or two of snow here and there. Wednesday was the least promising because the first weather was predicted to be rain. We got lucky and the rain did not get going until dinner time.

With the cloudy weather Garry, Liz and I took our time and got on the mountain just before 10AM. The chair 2 runs Stump Alley, Mambo and Patrolmen’s were in their corn prime, so we skied all 3 of those first. By 10:30 this groomer was making a second pass with salt to keep the snow from getting too sticky.
IMG_4017.JPG

More ski areas need to do this if they want to attract intermediates in May.

Most of the mountain softened around 11AM, so Cornice was good enough to ski twice. We then tried Climax, which was OK but a bit less smooth. Next time up the gondola we hit Dave’s.
IMG_4023.JPG

From there we skied in chair 5 terrain, first through Triangle. Garry there:
IMG_4026.JPG

Liz in Dry Creek lower down.
IMG_4029.JPG

At the very bottom of 5 the snow was getting a bit heavy by noon but it’s very quiet over here midweek.
IMG_4030.JPG

Since the snow was now sun softened top to bottom I next went over to Paranoid 3 and traversed to inspect Philippe’s. I usually decline to ski this, but spring snow can be more forgiving in steep chutes, so I gave it a shot.
123858a.jpg

There were two sets of rocks below me, so I sideslipped past the first ones and turned around the lower rocks.

Lower down looking up to Paranoid 3 at left. Philippe’s is hidden behind the first set of rocks dropping upper left to lower right.
IMG_4033a.jpg

We got out of the next gondola and I thought the backside might be good.
IMG_4037.JPG

It was here but it was real slog to intersect Roadrunner to return to the front side. In May sun it’s generally best to go back there around 11AM.

Our next run was a return to the Paranoids, which had excellent spring snow. I skied P2 while Garry pushed farther over to P3.
IMG_4042.JPG

Lower down we both skied P2
IMG_4048.JPG

140821a.jpg

With the top still in great shape we took 2 more runs up there, first skier’s right of Scotty’s on the Hump and finally traversing left from Cornice to the bowl under Drop Out 3. Like last week chair 23 was closed midweek. We moved to chair 1, skied Fascination and Baby Gravy, then took 3 up to finish the day on Coyote. I skied 24,800 vertical.

With the short rain the prior evening there was some question in mind whether there was an overnight freeze, so we started Thursday about 9:30. The early morning was sunny so the chair 2 runs were again in prime corn mode when Garry, Liz and I got there. However high temps were about 30F vs. 40F the prior day so the softening process was slower on the upper mountain. Cornice was decent but the upper half of Climax was still quite frozen after 11AM, and since the weather gradually worsened nothing remaining frozen softened further later in the day.

Twice we loaded the gondola at the base but were forced to get out midway because of thick fog on top. The first time was only for about 10 minutes, so after a Broadway cruise we went back to the top and skied the backside. As snow was still frozen on top we skied into Roadrunner and dropped into Red Hill which had smooth corn. Lower down the snow was supportable so it was easy to get back onto Roadrunner.
IMG_4050.JPG

The clouds were building again over the Minarets, this time accompanied by thunder
IMG_4051a.jpg

We heard thunder 3 times while on the backside and twice more as we approached Main Lodge, so to no surprise the lifts were shut down and we took lunch at 12:30.

After lunch we took a warmup on Andy’s Double Gold, then took a last run up top to the Red Hill/backside corn. By the time we got back to Main the weather deteriorated for good, closing the top in fog. We went up 3 to test the chair 5 terrain, but mid-level snow was refreezing, so we called it a day at 2PM with 17,400 vertical.

It snowed 1-2 inches overnight Thursday. The snow Friday May 6 was dense and covered the groomers well, but off trail the subsurface was frozen and you were almost guaranteed to hit it on anything steep. After a warmup on Stump Alley Liz and I explored the face of 3, generally finding more wind drift skier’s right than left. The lowest pitch near the base of chair 3 had the softest snow with minimal subsurface contact. The tracks in this pic are ours.
IMG_4054.JPG

We then skied Coyote down to 2.
IMG_4058.JPG

On Friday Mammoth decided to run chair 23, so I thought that was worth checking out after it had been closed for 4 days. The snow in the Wipe Outs would be smooth and maybe the wind would have deposited some drifts near the rocks.
IMG_4060.JPG

This was true where I skied Wipe Out 2 but on runs that steep it wasn’t quite enough new snow so most turns contacted the subsurface. Only when the terrain mellowed out well below the rocks were the turns softer. One more time up 23 we traversed into Paranoid 1, finding similar snow to the Wipe Outs. Then we traversed far left to White Bark Bowl, which was mellow enough to make wide soft turns in the new snow.
IMG_4065.JPG

As we approached chair 1 we spotted Rainbow Jenny, who had arrived last night. She was skiing with Lonnie, a former Crystal Mt. instructor now living in SoCal and his friend Ami. They had been skiing the edges of the race courses, and we took a run with them near Terry's/Agee's with untracked in the trees between the two runs. Next we took 3 up to ski into 5. Lonnie and Jenny in Sanctuary.
IMG_4068.JPG

The ropes are still there as the park features from last week are being dismantled.

We moved to chair 3 for 3 runs. Lonnie, Jenny, Ami on 3's lower pitch.
IMG_4073.JPG

Just after noon we took lunch at Main Lodge. Here we are with Lonnie, Ami and Jenny.
Lonnie&co050616.jpeg

After lunch we took a Broadway warmup, then went up top to ski Cornice, World Cup and Terry's. These runs were actually skiing better now as the subsurface was no longer firm. When we returned to the top, we met a couple more of Jenny's Mammoth acquaintances, Ned79 and Federico. Lonnie had been planning to ski Climax, but Ned and Federico said the backside was skiing great. I needed no persuasion after our runs back there on Thursday, so that's where all 7 of us went. I dropped in at Red Hill as before while the rest stayed on Roadrunner longer to reach upper Arriba. Ned79, Lonnie and Liz there:
IMG_4075.JPG

Lonnie and Ami were done for the day, but the rest of us took two more backside laps, these times taking a glide and short walk up to the top of chair 12, where lightly tracked snow was still available.

Liz, Jenny and I finished our day off the back of 3 to Sliver.
IMG_4087.JPG

Liz and I skied 27,000 vertical.

During the last 5 days of skiing Liz has had no ankle pain or numb toes and has not needed to take extended boot breaks midday. So we dropped by Footloose on the way out of town to thank Corti Lawrence for perhaps putting an end to Liz' 2+ year boot saga.
IMG_4399.JPG

On April 13 Corti made the following adjustments:
1) Added some support under the heel to the custom footbeds made in Park City. Corti believes orthotic footbeds should be fitted while NOT weight bearing.
2) Cut out holes over Liz' ankle hot spots in the neoprene inserts glued to the inside of the tongues.
3) The 3rd buckle on Liz' boots has 3 options where it can be riveted. Corti moved the buckle from the most forward position where it tends to clamp vertically to a rearward position where it clamps more toward the heel.
4) Added 2 small hard plastic inserts on the outside of the liner to help secure the heel.
5) Removed one rivet from the back of the boot, reducing flex from 110 to 100.

This time we told him Liz' boot history. The bootfitting fraternity is a small one and Corti knew them all, from Aspen to Vail to Snowbird to Park City.

Tony Crocker":1vmtvw68 said:
5) Removed one rivet from the back of the boot, reducing flex from 110 to 100.

I don't mind saying, "Told ya so...two years ago."

Back