Park City Mountain (Canyons Village), UT 11/27/16

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Day 3: A little fresh snow goes a long way.

Tiny Tim and I met at the base of the Cabriolet at 8:45 a.m. this morning. Today was the first time for the Canyons Village side of PCMR, nad having enough of Home Run on the Park City side yesterday, this was my preference. We loaded the Red Pine Gondola with free hot chocolate and danish, then loaded Saddleback Express.

Like yesterday, there was one run open: Kokopelli. It was groomed last night before a few inches fell from the skies, so the first few runs were downright delightful.

20161127_092913.jpg

20161127_095535.jpg

By 11:30, however, enough people showed up that we each had enough of a) one open run, and b) the human slalom that had developed, especially the killing field at the first drop. By then we had plenty of laps with elbow room to spare, so we headed home perfectly happy to get other things done on a Sunday afternoon.

Yea, the WROD is always a little scary. I had a bad experience on the last day of skiing (in the East, after a terrible, snowless Winter) last March with the WROD. I went out for a final day of skiing, after a week of very warm temps in the middle of March, and much of the snow on the mountain had melted but they had most of the trails open with limited amounts of snow that had been pushed around into narrowed "trails". I was on a particularly slim band of snow (the proverbial WROD) with a bunch of other skiers and a young, out-of-control snowboarder came down and smashed into me from behind, knocking me down. I was in excruciating pain and I ended up fracturing one of the vertebrae in my back. I have been out of commission all Summer long (and still have some pain and discomfort) but I'm hoping to be able to do some skiing this Winter. So, I've learned my lesson about the WROD. Avoid it ALL costs !!

Back