Alta, UT 12/2/2016 Opening Day

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Day 4: A season opening that powder dreams are made of.

Alta opened today, two weeks behind schedule. However, when an opening like today's takes place, those lost two weeks are a quickly forgotten memory. Thanks to a storm that ended Tuesday after dropping 40" of snowfall (and another 4" from a weak wave overnight), I don't think that anyone regretted losing a few days of running laps on a single man-made WROD.

That's because huge swaths of the mountain opened today, including anything accessible from the High Traverse, all of Wildcat, and Ballroom/Baldy shoulder. Everything was pool-table smooth and untracked, and I swear to God that I hit absolutely nothing today that wasn't snow. We didn't get Backside today, but I'd place money that we will tomorrow. There was little visible reason to keep it closed other than to give weekenders a taste of the goodness.

20161202_082255.jpg

20161202_094210.jpg

20161202_094214.jpg

20161202_094410.jpg

20161202_094419.jpg

20161202_094546.jpg

20161202_095937.jpg

Opening day is a giant homecoming for Alta regulars and employees alike. This is the kind of place where employees and customers both come for a season and stay for decades. Whether it's at the lifts or in the on-mountain restaurants, the same employees and passholders return year after year after year. It was great to see everyone again today, and I think that I exceeded my hug quota. Alta's employees and regulars are a good chunk of what makes Alta such a special place to ski, and I'm grateful for everyone I bumped into today.

AmyZ, Tom and I called it a day at 2 p.m. over beers at Goldminer's Daughter, long after Bobby Danger shuffled off to work at 11 a.m., when the place went from mobbed to empty as everyone else did the same. But the three of us had just finished with a High Boy LRP ("Last Run Protocol") that spent whatever remained in any of our early season legs.

20161202_135132.jpg

20161202_135141.jpg

On a side note, today was my first day in a new pair of boots, the 2017 Tecnica Zero G Guide.

20161127_182138.jpg

My old Garmont Shoguns have 400-500 days on them, and are packed out and shot. I wandered over to my neighborhood ski shop late last Sunday on what was meant to be only an exploratory mission to try on some AT boots, and came home an hour later and nearly $600 poorer. But I've never experienced such an exceptional fit right out of the box and a bake. They're light, they're the perfect flex for me, and did I mention that they fit like a glove? I have zero sore spots after a full first day, and never experienced cramping all day, yet my foot was clamped like a vise. I stopped at the shop on my way home to rectify my only complaint, as I yearned for a few more degrees of ramp angle. I'll see how that fix works out tomorrow.

Does Alta's website show anywhere what terrain is open? OnTheSnow shows 12 out of 116 trails open. I knew that was likely BS but couldn't find anything to contradict it until this TR.

Marc_C":3os20f97 said:
Tony Crocker":3os20f97 said:
Does Alta's website show anywhere what terrain is open?
Not really. The closest they come is:
http://www.alta.com/conditions/daily-mountain-report/groomed-run-report
and
http://www.alta.com/conditions/daily-mountain-report/expected-openings

But hardly the full list that other areas provide.

I have a call into Connie about this. I can't believe Alta would be happy about having such misleading understated info in wide circulation. I have noticed this problem in prior seasons, but generally it's later on in the season when those sites will say something like "90 out of 116" long after we know that essentially everything is open. But having people think you're 10% open when it's really 60+%, that's pretty bad.

I would also like to know how those "consolidator sites" get their info in the first place. It has to be on an automated basis or provided by the ski areas into some standardized interface.

Honestly, I don''t think they really care. After today, all that remains closed are Baldy Chutes, Devil's Castle, and the terrain serviced by Supreme and Cecret, but the latter is only because those lifts aren't scheduled to run until 12/9/16 no matter what the snowpack says.

Tony Crocker":7fveppvb said:
I have a call into Connie about this. I can't believe Alta would be happy about having such misleading understated info in wide circulation.
First, it's not misleading, just not a complete listing. Consider that many of the areas listed in "Expected Openings" would equate to dozens of "trails" at other areas.
More importantly, there may indeed be a preference for being intentionally understated.
Or the likely case, as Admin mentions, we/Alta just don't care all that much.

Of course you locals don't care. For me it's just a nuisance as I have the background to suspect a rotten number when I see it. And also to look here or at some other online TR to confirm my suspicions. But the average skier who doesn't live in the area and is thinking about this season's ski trip looks at those consolidator sites and will think there's not all that much difference among the Utah ski areas after the slow start.

Back