Alta, UT 12/9/2016

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Day 6: The ankle test.

Six inches of dense cream cheese fell overnight, the perfect test for my newly disabled ankle.

This morning was a blast with AmyZ, Evan, Barry (a temporary transplant from Vermont) and Rainbow Jenny with her friend Lorenzo. Jenny and Lorenzo begged off after the first run out the High T to Greeley Bowl, which was absolutely divine. So good that it had to be repeated.

We skied a West Rustler and prepared to go for coffee when Supreme finally opened for the first time this season. Screw that coffee!

My ankle held up well on the smooth, but the High T was painful, especially as my bad ankle was on my downhill leg. Likewise, as that new snow got skied into micro-bumps, that hurt like hell, too. I gave up at noon, opting to not push the ankle too hard.

I didn't take photos, but I did play with an action camera, and when I got home I also played with some new editing software. So:
1. Apologies for the too-low camera angle; I have to work on that. But you get a really good sense of the snow surface. :lol:
2. Apologies for the poor editing -- I'm in a rush and I need to learn this new software.
3. Apologies for too much first-person video, I was playing with the camera.
4. Apologies for the watermark at the beginning of the video -- I haven't bought the software yet.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw5Dabl8gGQ[/video]

Admin":3dnz7v2q said:
the High T was painful, especially as my bad ankle was on my downhill leg.
It hurts just to read that. Did you consider skiing it switch? After a couple thousand runs on the High T, you should be able to do that. Blindfolded.
:lol:

jamesdeluxe":3effuo1e said:
Admin":3effuo1e said:
the High T was painful, especially as my bad ankle was on my downhill leg.
It hurts just to read that. Did you consider skiing it switch? After a couple thousand runs on the High T, you should be able to do that. Blindfolded.
:lol:

No different than a flat light day. :wink:

Admin":3eq612ni said:
I didn't take photos, but I did play with an action camera, and when I got home I also played with some new editing software. So:
1. Apologies for the too-low camera angle; I have to work on that. But you get a really good sense of the snow surface. :lol:
2. Apologies for the poor editing -- I'm in a rush and I need to learn this new software.
4. Apologies for the watermark at the beginning of the video -- I haven't bought the software yet.

Also figure out a way to correct the barrel distortion of that action cam. Those Wildcat towers are pretty bent looking!

Marc_C":24e257sy said:
Admin":24e257sy said:

Also figure out a way to correct the barrel distortion of that action cam. Those Wildcat towers are pretty bent looking!

Yeah, that was pretty wild, wasn't it?

I thought it was a good video. I liked that the camera was pointed down toward the tips of the skis. Could still see the terrain. Only seeing a hill with some trees would have been boring. Seeing the cuts was interesting. Watching the video, I was a little worried toward the end when you seemed to lose the run and get lost in the trees. Thanks goodness you found your way out and back on the run.

Don't become too obsessed... you will start walking around with several cameras and a selfi stick every place you go.

Admin":1217ve9m said:

Yeah, that was pretty wild, wasn't it?

Highlight clip, Fix/Enhance and Lens Correction. IMHO, not worth the effort. It looks just fine as it is.

tcope":lt2ojyvx said:
Highlight clip, Fix/Enhance and Lens Correction. IMHO, not worth the effort. It looks just fine as it is.
I disagree. Those severely warped towers are very distracting.

tcope":1dfqvh08 said:
I liked that the camera was pointed down toward the tips of the skis.
Do you watch many ski videos? Erm, this is the single most common complaint about POV ski videos posted on Youtube, which Admin immediately recognizes in his self criticism of the video. I see those kind of misaimed camera angles and find myself constantly trying to lift my head while watching. I don't care about the ski tips - I want to see the terrain coming at me, seeing what's next, and seeing a horizon.

I really like the addition of the action footage to your TR's..
If you continue making taking action footage consider a chest mounted stabilizing gimbal...

Marc_C":1a1kye85 said:
tcope":1a1kye85 said:
Do you watch many ski videos? Erm, this is the single most common complaint about POV ski videos posted on Youtube, which Admin immediately recognizes in his self criticism of the video.

It's my opinion on the view... not a statement about what other people like.

Marc, sorry to hear about the ankle! I hope it heals fast! Your turns looked soft and plush, though. A great day!

tcope":ou9p6cvn said:
Marc_C":ou9p6cvn said:
tcope":ou9p6cvn said:
Do you watch many ski videos? Erm, this is the single most common complaint about POV ski videos posted on Youtube, which Admin immediately recognizes in his self criticism of the video.

It's my opinion on the view... not a statement about what other people like.

I think seeing ski tips adds perspective and also helps you get a better sense of snow quality which is sometimes hard to gauge in flat light. With that said, there's a fine line and this was a tad low to me. Not bad for a first try though. Looking forward to more videos.

Ps, just a suggestion but the stuff at the beginning of the video, if you want to include would work better at 2-4x speed. Took a while to get to the action.

Back