Alta 12/12 - The Goody Room

All i gotta say is: WOW.

Second chair on Collins. The crisp bluebird morning sounded like Baghdad -- always a good sign. Always fun to watch people jump when the bombs go off.......

Warmed up on West Rustler -- chalk like consistency. Wind buff , rippable but not good for a starting run.

Waited at the ASP shelter atop Collins, soaking up the sun on a bluebird day. Ballroom opened around 10:30. Creamy, beautiful lines skiing effortlessly. Not too crowded (like the usual ant line you see on weekends).

I knew Backside opening was imminent. Got the green light from ASP. I was the first person to hike up the hill (although three guys passed this flatlander from LA with no lungs these days........) Took a completely untracked line off Backside. One of the most glorious runs I have ever taken. The sign up top says "this gate is closed to preserve the experience for uphill hikers." The only way to describe Backside untracked is just that: it's an experience. It really is.

Went over to Sugarloaf and a new gate had opened up (sorry don't know the name) all the area West of Extrovert. I was blown away at the quality and untracked nature of the snow. I don't recall ever having skied this area before. I took 4-5 laps. It was like a kid in a candy store. Nobody was behind me. I never saw anyone out there during the 5 laps.

Around 12:30 I headed over to Supreme. I had heard some bombs going off and after they quieted, I had a feeling Supreme Bowl would be open. I skied about 7 laps up Supreme until I had nothing more to give (skipped lunch). It was just ridiculous -- nearly everything was untracked. I don't think Supreme Bowl had been open this year? Not sure but it was skiing beautiful. Rarely hit a rock. Did a traverse over to the North side of Supreme Bowl (Marc_C help me with the name) . It wasn't quite prime time yet -- hit a few rocks on the undulating ridges. I have some Ptex work to complete.

Took one lap on Backside around 3 pm'ish over to Suzies Trees. Moderately tracked but a nice way to end the day. Drove down the hill at 3:30.

One of the best days of skiing I have EVER had. It was like a ghost town out there today. Almost a little spooky -- reminded me of the old Arby's commercial -- "where did everybody go?"

I was reminded today of what a special place Alta is. Really - epic out there today.

Attachments

• alta 17.JPG
    alta 17.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 5,377
  • alta 28.JPG
    alta 28.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 5,390
  • alta 24.JPG
    alta 24.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 5,386
  • alta 22.JPG
    alta 22.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 5,388
  • alta 21.JPG
    alta 21.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 5,378
  • alta 20.JPG
    alta 20.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 5,380
  • alta 19.JPG
    alta 19.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 5,383
  • alta 30.JPG
    alta 30.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 5,377
  • alta 31.JPG
    alta 31.JPG
    368 KB · Views: 5,383
  • alta 32.JPG
    alta 32.JPG
    282.8 KB · Views: 5,393
  • alta 33.JPG
    alta 33.JPG
    259.8 KB · Views: 5,370
=D> :drool:

I guess the Utah locals were not paying attention when jojo_obrien made this call the day before. 12/12 was a nice opening day for me at Mammoth, but this is on a completely different level.

Even locals only occasionally time terrain openings at Alta or Snowbird as well as this. =D> again!

Tony,

I pleaded with a certain Utah local to play hooky......

It was a ton of fun......reminds me of the day we went and did Eric's -- nothing better than discovering new terrain untracked by yourself or one with other person.........

Attachments

• IMG_5819.JPG
    IMG_5819.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 5,155
jojo_obrien":2uzs1hdn said:
This wouldn't be the Utah local who usually has surplus PTO days he's trying to use in December, would it? :stir:

Tony Crocker":3iyomhno said:
jojo_obrien":3iyomhno said:
This wouldn't be the Utah local who usually has surplus PTO days he's trying to use in December, would it? :stir:

It would. And unlike a certain retired Californian with all the time in the world and limitless money to burn, I can't just decide at a moment's notice to take off to go skiing. That's not how my employer (or the needs of my job) operate. Furthermore, my ankle couldn't handle another day in a row, even if I were able to go.

For the 10,000th time, stop imposing your values on other people when you have zero f***ing idea of what their situation is. It's a really f***ing annoying character trait.

You really didn't expect me to pass up a softball as fat as this one, did you? :lol:

Admin can mismanage his schedule as much as he wants and he'll still end up skiing twice as much powder as I do. :)

I'm personally quite envious of Tony. I want to be him when I grow up . Trips to Rangiroa, Antarctica, skiing everywhere around the world......

A well managed career and active living leads to a very nice retirement! =D> =D>

Back