Alta, UT 12/17/2016

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Day 10: Hell on the highway, heaven on the hill.

I left my house at 8 a.m., usually more than adequate even on a powder day. I knew that it was going to be crazy busy after the Friday storm that left 25" of new snow in its wake.

Today, however, was utter chaos. I live 5 minutes from the mouth of Little Cottonwood Canyon. Today, that took an hour.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iAAUixT3CE[/video]

Now, indulge me for a second on my soapbox. There were 4x4/chain restrictions in effect in the canyon. That's broadcast on UDOT's website and on the ski areas'. When you exit I-215, there's an electronic information board that tells you so. At the Wasatch Blvd./Little Cottonwood Canyon Road split, there's a flashing sign telling you so. When you arrive at the mouth of the canyon, there's a flashing sign telling you so.

Yet, every five or six cars there was some jackass in a 2WD vehicle without chains seemingly oblivious to the UPD deputy sitting at the entrance to the canyon checking for 4WD or chains. Invariably, each one was forced to stop, have a 20-second conversation with the deputy and turn around. Multiply this many times over, and that's what led to today's s**tshow. Had these people not tried to get up the canyon with their illegally-equipped vehices, it would've gone smoothly. Instead, it took an hour to go barely 2 miles. Seeing as how there were two deputies, it also would've gone more quickly if they had checked for chains before the merge at the canyon mouth. Once in the canyon I was at the Wildcat lot in 15 minutes.

Yes today was cold (+/- a few degrees of zero), yet it never felt that bad. The snow was absolutely incredible. We skied deep, untracked fluff all morning. And I'm not sure where everyone went, but they must've ended up at Snowbird for I barely waited in a liftline all day. Even though the mid-Collins plot measures 68 inches, Bobby Danger kept saying that it skied like a 100-inch base...and he's right.

20161217_142631.jpg

20161217_143824.jpg

20161217_145132.jpg

My biggest issues today all revolved around equipment. My first run was blind as I had fog form between my goggle lenses due to moisture from Friday that never completely dried. Later, I was heading out the High T at warp speed when I suddenly found myself wearing one ski and watching the other dive down Race Course (shout-out to Tom's son Dallas for finding it!). My Dynafit bindings were strangely uncooperative today. I twice found myself in the Watson Shelter men's room melting ice from my bindings with the hand dryers (that must be a first -- I sure got some strange looks carrying my skis into the bathroom with me!). Jeremy, the Watson Shelter manager, lent me a can of WD-40 but even that didn't help. I eventually resigned myself to skiing them in touring mode, which means that they were no longer releasable bindings. Tonight they're warming and drying overnight indoors; hopefully that will solve whatever the issue is.

Admin":2oeqmmms said:
There were 4x4/chain restrictions in effect in the canyon. That's broadcast on UDOT's website and on the ski areas'. When you exit I-215, there's an electronic information board that tells you so. At the Wasatch Blvd./Little Cottonwood Canyon Road split, there's a flashing sign telling you so. When you arrive at the mouth of the canyon, there's a flashing sign telling you so. Yet, every five or six cars there was some jackass in a 2WD vehicle without chains seemingly oblivious to the UPD deputy sitting at the entrance to the canyon checking for 4WD or chains.

They don't check UDOT.
They don't read or listen to the avi report.
They don't check the resort web sites.
They don't bother looking at any of the signs.
I suspect many are oblivious visitors.
Among the locals, I suspect many have managed to get up and down canyon on other days when there were restrictions but no UPD Sheriffs checking.

Admin":2oeqmmms said:
Yes today was cold (+/- a few degrees of zero), yet it never felt that bad.
Still at least 10 degrees too cold for this wimp who has totally lost that NE ability to put up with that crap. Obviously today is even worse.

admin":3iiwxeds said:
My first run was blind as I had fog form between my goggle lenses due to moisture from Friday that never completely dried.
That is an ugly problem I had a couple of times last year, usually takes an overnight to dry out completely. The foam at the top of the goggles had a small cut, which I decided was the culprit after a second incident. So it was time to break out a new pair of goggles in my case.

Is the binding problem a temperature issue?

MarcC":3iiwxeds said:
Still at least 10 degrees too cold for this wimp who has totally lost that NE ability to put up with that crap.
Sometimes people suffer more for quality. :lol: On a more serious note, high eastern humidity transmits the air temperature to our bodies more easily than drier air. Everybody knows this with respect to the summer steambath, but it applies to winter cold too.

Tony Crocker":3jjtmy6r said:
MarcC":3jjtmy6r said:
Still at least 10 degrees too cold for this wimp who has totally lost that NE ability to put up with that crap.
Sometimes people suffer more for quality. :lol: On a more serious note, high eastern humidity transmits the air temperature to our bodies more easily than drier air. Everybody knows this with respect to the summer steambath, but it applies to winter cold too.
You bet. The ability to deal with it was one of the very early things to go for me after moving west. We went back to the Northeast to visit and use our timeshare week at Sugarbush the year following our move. I spent two weeks shivering, both inside and outside. When we went back last year for my father-in-law's funeral in April, interiors seemed to smell musty in of every building we entered.

I've skied in minus 20 and 30 up in Vermont...hell of a difference from those temps out west..although minus 20 at Jackson felt almost as cold..you just have to go in and warmup a bit every few runs...

I manged -22F OK for a morning at Mustang, but riding up the hill in an enclosed snowcat was the key there. Castle Mt. at -9 was coldest on lifts, and that day required frequent thaw breaks.

I did a -29C day in Alberta a few years ago (~-20F). I'd still do such a day depending on snow surfaces. I haven't wimped out due to living in the west yet.

Interestingly it doesn't really carry over into other sports for me; I hate riding a bike in even slightly chilly weather for example.

Did a -20 day in Jackson a few years back. It was an inversion day so once up high it wasn't terrible. From 1/2 way down to the bottom was basically unbearable.

I don't mind anything in the low single digits of negative really and I've been living in LA for 10 years.

Yea, not very enjoyable skiing when temps are significantly below zero, no matter how much clothing you have on. Hard to keep fingers and toes from getting cold (at least for me) although I don't have heated boots or gloves.

socal":233i2kcc said:
Did a -20 day in Jackson a few years back. It was an inversion day so once up high it wasn't terrible. From 1/2 way down to the bottom was basically unbearable.

I don't mind anything in the low single digits of negative really and I've been living in LA for 10 years.
For me it seems more associated with crossing north of 60.

Back