Copper, CO 12-18-16

EMSC

Mid-Winter

Well all the stuff that was actually open was in mid-winter form. Excellent coverage and excellent conditions. Just a touch chilly :lol: .

Did the ever changing calculus of life and decided that Sunday after the storm and Copper were the choice of the weekend. Jr is not quite ready for 16" powder days every ski day, plus Sunday was the warmer of the two days by ~10F compared to Sat too (eg high of ~10F at the base). I heard I-70 was a disaster Friday night and Saturday morning. Still had some issues on Sunday too which added ~30 min in the morning and ~15 min at night. Good thing traffic is enough less than mid-season in Jan and Feb, which was another part of the calculus for this weekend.

Due to the cold we went for the late start, hitting the hill from 11a till 4p. Conditions on the open terrain can only be described as superb. Leftovers on the edges, soft groomed surfaces... Coverage felt much deeper than the official numbers would indicate. Heard several avi bombs through the day as work was done on at least Sierra lift. Everything not open looked absolutely prime. Can only be either manpower or lack of will by management to get it all open faster.

I even had Jr go down the Resolution terrain for his first time ever. One or two tough spots I had to help him through so he's not quite ready for that consistently just yet, but getting close. We finished the day with several laps on Jr's favorite terrain - Timberline lift.

Image00001.jpg

Image00002.jpg

Image00003.jpg

Image00004.jpg

Image00005.jpg

Image00006.jpg

Image00007.jpg

Image00008.jpg

Image00009.jpg

Image00010.jpg

Image00011.jpg

Image00012.jpg