Alta, UT 12/28/2016

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Day 16: If you don't like the weather, wait a minute.

From cloudy, windy and cold, to deep blue skies and warm sunshine, we had it all today. It was busy, but not extraordinarily so for a holiday week. It felt like a typical mid-winter Saturday instead of a holiday week Wednesday.

I started out my day with three runs accompanied by Evan of Wasatch Snow Forecast and Sandy of the Utah Office of Tourism, who were filming today's installment of "Weather Wednesday".

20161228_094128.jpg

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylRLgfbmOQU[/video]

After that, those two split and I was on my own for a bit. I was feeling lazy, and the ungroomed was still a bit stiff so I stuck to the groomers cruising around. I was at lunch at Watson Shelter downing a cheeseburger (one of the best in the Wasatch!) when I got a message from Colton Rice, who's working in Alta's marketing department. I skied down, pulled him out of his office kicking and screaming, and dragged him onto the hill as the sun finally broke out.

122816MARC.jpg

It was time to start exploring. We skied a couple of laps through wind-sifted chalk in West Rustler that was softening beautifully in the afternoon sunshine. After starting a trend there (people later would flock to West Rustler), we ventured further afield by introducing Colton to my secret spot after Colton grabbed his camera (and the battery for said camera on the second lap).

122816FORMARC.jpg

Yeah, he works for Alta but it was his first time through there. As usual, that spot delivered! I already knew that this spot wasn't open through at least Monday, although I wasn't on the hill yesterday to check. Yes, there's still untracked to be found in LCC -- even in-bounds during a holiday week.

For example, Thunder Bowl at Snowbird which opened for first time today as well. Yup, it was deep and untracked.

Attachments

• DSC02764 (1).JPG
    DSC02764 (1).JPG
    4 MB · Views: 3,570
Back