Winter Park, CO 12-30-16

EMSC

We started out super late and STILL ran into I70 traffic headaches. This time the merge of US6 at the bottom of Floyd Hill jammed things up adding ~30minutes to the commute up. Given our late start, we didn't get on-hill till ~11:45.

The mid part of the day was warm, probably approaching the freezing mark at the base of the mtn. We parked on the Jane side hitting Super Gauge lift up and then Sunnyside to Panorama express for a couple of runs. Definite lift lines, but not as bad as it could have been. Usually ~1/2 to 2/3 full lift mazes. People on the lift talked about Thursday having been crazy crowded. After those couple runs off the top, which has been super wind affected in some spots (esp recently), we went over to the other side and hit Olympia lift for several laps. One of the the runs in that area (Whistlestop) has a narrow 'chute' on the right side with whoop-de-dos in it that Jr just loved. so we did that multiple times in a row.

Eventually high clouds obscured the sun a bit and the temps cooled down very quickly and by quite a lot. We worked our way back over to the car getting off the hill just past 4p with no stops during the day. I think the sudden drop in temps made Jr cold while skiing for perhaps the first time ever.

I hardly took any pictures this time.

Image00001.jpg

Image00002.jpg

Image00003.jpg

You were lucky. There were comments on Epic about Winter Park being a total zoo earlier in the week.

Back