Monarch, CO 01/07/17

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
For this quick in-and-out visit to Colorado, I decided to go back to a few ski areas that impressed me many moons ago but are just far enough from the Front Range to deter most fly-in visitors. Monarch, located right along the high mountain pass with the same name, is a classic non-resort with comparatively modest stats (1,170 vertical feet, about the same as Plattekill back east) and has no high-speed lifts, snowmaking, or lodging. It's mainly a locals hill for Colorado Springs and Pueblo, the nearby towns of Salida and Gunnison, along with drive-up skiers from neighboring western Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas.

On the three-hour drive from Denver on Route 285, it was a bit brisk in the valleys. Some were reporting ambient temps as low as -35F:
20170107_074311.jpg

The region had gotten a nice dump midweek that actually closed Route 50 (something that happens very rarely) so CDOT could perform avalanche control alongside the road,. Monarch didn't open on Thursday so people who came on Friday feasted on a three-foot powder day -- and I got there Saturday.
Entrance_Sign_2.jpg

After a slow start to the season, Monarch has gotten 173 inches YTD and everything was covered nicely. Despite its short vertical, there's some nice variety in the terrain. I had fun tracking through the sloppy seconds on the lift-served part of the mountain during the first couple hours:
James_1.jpg

Shag_Nasty.jpg

Outback_2.jpg

Stopping for an early lunch at the Sidewinder Saloon:
saloon_1.jpg

Finally, I was ready to tackle the hike-to Mirkwood Basin, which is, for lack of a better analogy, Monarch's version of Solitude's Honeycomb Canyon, except it has a more consistent drop. For people who are in decent shape and accustomed to the altitude, it's a 15- maybe 20-minute hike. For me, fresh from sea level, it took a good 40 minutes to get to the 12K summit. More than 30 people must have passed me on the way up.
Mirkwood_Sign.jpg

Mirkwood_Climb.jpg

At the top:
Mirkwood_Summit.jpg

Looking over the edge into the Basin:
Mirkwood_Basin.jpg

James_3.jpg

Further down, heading into the trees:
Mirkwood_Trees.jpg

Mirkwood_Trees_2.jpg

In short: a great community feel (people there talk about the ski area like a family member), 350 inches average snowfall, a nice hike-to sector, and a cat-ski operation.

Thanks for posting, it brought back great memories of a ski tour myself and my Welsh mate Mike made 10 or so years back.

Per Google Earth the Mirkwood hike looks gradual but with ~250 feet elevation gain. It looks mellow vs. the Highlands Bowl hike, but still it won't be fun if you're only one day removed from sea level.

You were one day late, but better than one day early with the road closed!

Tony Crocker":s4egdi1o said:
You were one day late, but better than one day early with the road closed!

I'm waiting for James' Sunday/Monday TR's since it's been snowing again.

I had suspected James lost a ski day to the weather but it seems the intention was only two days of skiing. That was a serious road warrior expedition for a short trip.

Tony Crocker":2264h2rf said:
I had suspected James lost a ski day to the weather but it seems the intention was only two days of skiing. That was a serious road warrior expedition for a short trip.
For the record: I had some Southwest flight credits that were going to expire at the end of January and Denver is the only ski destination the airline serves that's nonstop from EWR. The intention was three days of skiing but Day 3 was harpooned not due to the weather but because I had to return to Denver and finish a work proposal that should've been submitted before I'd even departed the East Coast.
:x

I'm aware that 550 miles of driving + flights for two days of skiing = bonkers; however, at least those two days were very good.

Back