Alta, UT 1/11/2017

Resort and backcountry skiing and snowboarding in the western US and Canada, including our famous reader-submitted No-Bull Snow Reports.

Alta, UT 1/11/2017

Postby Admin » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:35 pm

Day 25: Bell-to-bell powder.

I already had PTO scheduled for today to attend Outdoor Retailer. They moved the show up this year by several weeks, which meant that the period I typically spend booking appointments with gear vendors fell on the holidays instead of early January. Thus, I was late to book and when the forecast looked good for today, I blew it off and went skiing instead.

We had up to 6 people today, including rdwore, jtran, Kay, Alex and AmyZ. I picked up rdwore this morning and he rode up with me to catch the opening. We started the day with about 8" of new creamy, wind-whipped snow and added another 5" to it throughout the day. When we got there it was absolutely nuking.

20170111_091216.jpg
It was snowing so hard you could barely see up the hill.


We'd have alternating breaks in the action and intense snowfall throughout the day. UDOT closed the LCC road from 1:30 to 3:30 to toss shells, and while it wasn't inordinately busy in the morning most opted to skip out before the road closure and folks couldn't come up for some runs in the afternoon, so after the closure we had the place to ourselves. I kid you not that we skied an absolutely untracked Amen, which starts immediately beneath the Sugarloaf quad, at 3 p.m.! We found untracked snow to ski all day.

20170111_103155.jpg
A window to the Salt Lake Valley during a lull in the action.


20170111_113613.jpg
My kind of lift lines! (And this is *before* the road closure.)


20170111_114654.jpg
Nuking again.


We went bell-to-bell, from opening to closing -- and there wasn't a single groomer run in there. It was just too damned good to stop.
Image

Image
User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9969
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:32 am
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah

Re: Alta, UT 1/11/2017

Postby Tony Crocker » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:53 pm

This is what PTO is all about! =D> :drool:
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
User avatar
Tony Crocker
 
Posts: 9777
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:37 am
Location: Avatar: Charlotte Bay, Antarctica 2011
Location: Glendale, California

Re: Alta, UT 1/11/2017

Postby EMSC » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:29 pm

Definitely a nice day to be out of the office... but somehow it feels like you should be skiing one of the resorts that's been getting 2-3X what Alta has in this storm cycle. If there was ever a storm cycle to try out some non-Alta goods elsewhere...
User avatar
EMSC
 
Posts: 1982
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:54 pm
Location: Front Range of Colorado

Re: Alta, UT 1/11/2017

Postby Admin » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:35 pm

EMSC wrote:Definitely a nice day to be out of the office... but somehow it feels like you should be skiing one of the resorts that's been getting 2-3X what Alta has in this storm cycle. If there was ever a storm cycle to try out some non-Alta goods elsewhere...


Simple explanations:
1. Friends
2. Season pass
Image

Image
User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9969
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:32 am
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah

Re: Alta, UT 1/11/2017

Postby Admin » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:09 pm

Admin wrote:
EMSC wrote:Definitely a nice day to be out of the office... but somehow it feels like you should be skiing one of the resorts that's been getting 2-3X what Alta has in this storm cycle. If there was ever a storm cycle to try out some non-Alta goods elsewhere...


Simple explanations:
1. Friends
2. Season pass


And besides, really...does it matter? Sure, Brighton tops the list with 113 inches thus far in January, but do you really think that the 74 inches at Alta thus far this month skis any differently?
Image

Image
User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9969
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:32 am
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah

Re: Alta, UT 1/11/2017

Postby EMSC » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:32 pm

Admin wrote:Sure, Brighton tops the list with 113 inches thus far in January, but do you really think that the 74 inches at Alta thus far this month skis any differently?


Total snowfall, nope... Just thinking that maybe 12" (or 18") at Brighton might ski differently than 7" new at Alta.

But I don't ski any of Utah on a regular basis so it could be my Colorado front range biases showing. I'd expect most everything to get skied out darn near every single day. Whereas Alta might keep enough fresh around to ski much deeper than the snow report shows for days (esp mid-week).
User avatar
EMSC
 
Posts: 1982
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:54 pm
Location: Front Range of Colorado

Re: Alta, UT 1/11/2017

Postby Admin » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:36 pm

EMSC wrote:But I don't ski any of Utah on a regular basis so it could be my Colorado front range biases showing. I'd expect most everything to get skied out darn near every single day. Whereas Alta might keep enough fresh around to ski much deeper than the snow report shows for days (esp mid-week).


Some thoughts on that:
1. Deer Valley's woods must've been awesome yesterday, and mbaydala's photos on Facebook verify that.
2. As mentioned above, Alta was dead after lunch yesterday. It couldn't have been any better.
3. Yesterday's new snow was dense and wind-whipped, so 12" (or 18") at Brighton wouldn't ski any differently than 7" (or 12") at Alta. You were only skiing the top few inches.
4. Unlike the Front Range, gated terrain at some areas around here typically means successive days of untracked powder during and following a storm. You just have to know how to play your cards.
Image

Image
User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9969
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:32 am
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah


Return to Western North America

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


All content herein copyright © 1999-2017 First Tracks!! Online Media

Forums Terms & Conditions of Use

cron