Alta, UT 2/4/2017

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Day 32: The return of Skidog.

For several reasons, none of which I feel the need to discuss here because it's his business and not mine, Skidog didn't have his season pass until this week. I've truly missed having one of my dear buddies on the hill thus far this season -- one that I laugh with more than just about any other -- and it was wonderful to have him back today. I know that I did something right because he flipped me off several times today. :lol: Along for the ride was Skidog's friend Bob, who's visiting from the East Coast, as well as our new usual compadre Tom. Bob's friend Ken made a cameo appearance early in the day, as did AmyZ at the end.

Now, if we don't set a record for skier visits this season in Utah we never will. Every weekend seems busy. It doesn't matter if it's a holiday or not, nor does it really seem to matter if it snows or not. I've never known LCC to be this busy in the 12 years that I've lived here.

20170204_090951.jpg

20170204_100957.jpg

Now to be honest, the longest line we waited in today was about 10 minutes, and nearly all were much shorter than that. Still...the place was mobbed. Despite this, though, most were map readers and most obviously didn't know where to go, for I kid you not when I say that we literally skied untracked all day. Like one gate that had precisely one ski patrol track passing through it ahead of us at 11 a.m. and no one else going through, or like when they opened Ballroom/Baldy Shoulder and there were two people on the traverse out near the Harold's ropeline -- and absolutely no one else was out there 8-[ . Or like the two powder runs we skied in succession at 3 p.m. In upper Albion Basin the new snow was far deeper than the 4" recorded by the mid-Collins snow stake, which makes sense given that this small storm came in overnight on a southwesterly flow. And it came in thick and creamy, which kept you floating above the base beneath.

20170204_134745_034.jpg

20170204_134745_053.jpg

20170204_134758_021.jpg

20170204_134816_024.jpg

20170204_144413_068.jpg

20170204_144454_001.jpg

So while today wasn't a powder day by the true definition, there was lots of untracked goodness to be found all day long.

And thanks again to Bob for picking up the lunch tab! I shouted to you while you were halfway up the Alta Lodge tow to come join us for a beer at GMD, but you couldn't hear me.

Back