Jackson Hole - Shut down for 7 days??

Resort and backcountry skiing and snowboarding in the western US and Canada, including our famous reader-submitted No-Bull Snow Reports.

Re: Jackson Hole - Shut down for 7 days??

Postby Admin » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:17 am

berkshireskier wrote:I am (indirectly) in the insurance business (although not property and casualty or general liability) but, you're right, they MAY have some sort of "business interruption" coverage under their general P and C and liability insurance policy. You would have to read the terms of their actual insurance policy to see under what conditions this provision would apply and what the coverage entails (there are most likely certain exclusions and probably a fairly large deductible). Even with insurance coverage, I'm guessing this will be a fairly large financial hit for the ski resort. Furthermore, the hotels, restaurants and other non-resort owned businesses would have to have their own insurance coverages.

All very true. I just opted for the short and simple answer. ;-)

Admin
Site Admin

Postby jamesdeluxe » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:40 am

When I was at JH in January 2008, we had 70-mph winds all the way to the base and they shut down lifts -- I scooted over to Snow King and had a great day with virtually zero wind.

Is it possible to bury that type of high-voltage wire? I'm sure the resort would prefer that, if feasible. Of course, that would entail big guberment stepping in, and that's only acceptable to those commies on the east and west coasts (and maybe the pinkos on Colorado's Front Range).
jamesdeluxe

Postby EMSC » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:38 am

jamesdeluxe wrote:Is it possible to bury that type of high-voltage wire? I'm sure the resort would prefer that, if feasible.

Possible? Engineering wise, yes. Would they ever do that in that location? Not a chance. Way too expensive for a rural line like that. But there are many buried lines in metro areas where land is much more valuable.

-Front Range, non-pinko :lol:

I've been on the last tram of the day at ~10am from huge winds (old tram). We did some pretty big slams into the top tower and also the top station as we docked...
EMSC

Postby berkshireskier » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:05 am

EMSC wrote:
jamesdeluxe wrote:Is it possible to bury that type of high-voltage wire? I'm sure the resort would prefer that, if feasible.

Possible? Engineering wise, yes. Would they ever do that in that location? Not a chance. Way too expensive for a rural line like that. But there are many buried lines in metro areas where land is much more valuable.

-Front Range, non-pinko :lol:

I've been on the last tram of the day at ~10am from huge winds (old tram). We did some pretty big slams into the top tower and also the top station as we docked...

Yea, usually always better to bury electric lines (from a safety and aesthetic viewpoint), phone lines, cable lines, etc but, as you note, very expensive to do, especially in more rural areas. It will never happen in most parts of the country. I live in a rural part of New England and we lose power fairly often, usually in the summer, from high winds in thunderstorms bringing down trees or large branches on to the wires. Longest we went without electricity was about 4 days, in an especially bad and widespread summer squall line. A total pain, especially without a generator. We have a well with an electric pump, so no running water when we lose power. No doubt the electric company spends a fair amount every year repairing downed lines and also trimming trees all along the electric grid system. I'm amazed at how often I see large tree trimming crews working along the roads, to try to minimize falling branches and trees from taking down lines. Of course, those costs get passed along to ratepayers.

I would not want to be on that JH tram in high winds, but I understand the new tram was engineered and built to operate safer in higher winds. Not sure if that is true in reality?
Last edited by berkshireskier on Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
berkshireskier

Postby Admin » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:09 am

berkshireskier wrote:I would not want to be on that JH tram in high winds, but I understand the new tram was engineered and built to operate safer in higher winds. Not sure if that is true in reality?

Working at Jay years ago, I was on a test run on the Tram when we knocked out the left front window with the right bumper while docking. It was, uh..."sporting."

Admin
Site Admin

Postby kingslug » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:38 am

jamesdeluxe wrote:
Admin wrote:Despite popular perception, there is no such clause. That said, in all probability they have business interruption coverage.

You should get a job with an insurance company! :-)

"We know a thing or 2 because we've seen a thing or 2" bum be dum bum bum bum.........
kingslug

Postby kingslug » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:40 am

And thank god I'm not going until the 25th...imagine what it will be like for those that go the day it reopens......uber freshies....
kingslug

Postby Admin » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:05 pm

kingslug wrote:And thank god I'm not going until the 25th...imagine what it will be like for those that go the day it reopens......uber freshies....

And I'm guessing uber-mobbed.

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tony Crocker » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:26 pm

Admin wrote:
kingslug wrote:And thank god I'm not going until the 25th...imagine what it will be like for those that go the day it reopens......uber freshies....

And I'm guessing uber-mobbed.

Yes, and uber mashed potatoes if this drags out long enough and we get into late February with stronger sun and no more inversions.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Postby Marc_C » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:21 pm

Tony Crocker wrote:Yes, and uber mashed potatoes if this drags out long enough...

Seeing that it's currently 50F at 8500' at Alta........
-marc
Marc_C

Postby jamesdeluxe » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:58 am

From "The Paper of Record" -- complete with a shot of town (which wasn't affected) taken from Snow King. They couldn't have sourced a more appropriate photo?
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/09/us/j ... losed.html

I'm probably years behind in the news but it looks like Anna the marketing director got married. =D>
jamesdeluxe

Postby Marc_C » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:42 am

jamesdeluxe wrote:From "The Paper of Record" -- complete with a shot of town (which wasn't affected) taken from Snow King. They couldn't have sourced a more appropriate photo?

I'm missing your point?
-marc
Marc_C

Postby jamesdeluxe » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:26 am

Just being difficult -- basically: you'd think they would've included a pic at the top of the article with the downed power lines or a dark Teton Village rather than of Jackson itself, which wasn't affected. Kinda like showing a pic of downtown SLC for an article about something that mainly affected the town of Alta.

I also enjoy doing the wingnut move of putting The Paper of Record in quotes. :lol:
jamesdeluxe

Postby Tony Crocker » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:47 am

I agree with James. Admin managed to get a photo of one of the downed power lines plus a link to the drone video showing several of them. NY Times stock footage of the fully lit town of Jackson by comparison? SAD!
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Postby Admin » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:49 am

Tony Crocker wrote:I agree with James. Admin managed to get a photo of one of the downed power lines plus a link to the drone video showing several of them. NY Times stock footage of the fully lit town of Jackson by comparison? SAD!

:bow:

On a related note, Sun Valley has closed all of Bald Mountain today for the second day in a row: http://www.firsttracksonline.com/2017/0 ... -concerns/

Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Western North America