Jackson Hole - Shut down for 7 days??

Resort and backcountry skiing and snowboarding in the western US and Canada, including our famous reader-submitted No-Bull Snow Reports.

Re: Jackson Hole - Shut down for 7 days??

Postby Marc_C » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:00 pm

Tony Crocker wrote:I agree with James. Admin managed to get a photo of one of the downed power lines plus a link to the drone video showing several of them. NY Times stock footage of the fully lit town of Jackson by comparison? SAD!

And 99% of the people reading that article don't ski and simply don't care. I'm not particularly defending the NYT, but I also see it as a non-issue.
-marc
Marc_C

Postby berkshireskier » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:46 pm

Hell, the best place to ski this weekend may be New England. Forget Jackson Hole, Snowbird/Alta, Sun Valley, etc. We got 10 to 12 inches of light, fluffy powder (cold storm) yesterday and another 1 to 3 inches is predicted tonight. More snow Sunday into Monday.
:stir:
berkshireskier

Postby jamesdeluxe » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:31 pm

berkshireskier wrote:Hell, the best place to ski this weekend may be New England. Forget Jackson Hole, Snowbird/Alta, Sun Valley, etc. We got 10 to 12 inches of light, fluffy powder (cold storm) yesterday and another 1 to 3 inches is predicted tonight. More snow Sunday into Monday.

If you look into the Terms of Service to which you agreed when registering for this forum, you have to also provide a disclaimer that conditions will suck again soon and that you'd rather be skiing at Alta, well, just because.
jamesdeluxe

Postby Admin » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:36 pm

:rotfl:

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Marc_C » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:46 pm

berkshireskier wrote:Hell, the best place to ski this weekend may be New England. Forget Jackson Hole, Snowbird/Alta, Sun Valley, etc. We got 10 to 12 inches of light, fluffy powder (cold storm) yesterday and another 1 to 3 inches is predicted tonight. More snow Sunday into Monday.

Probably. It's one of the 5 good days you get every other season.
A whole 1-3 inches. Yep. A full on powder day.
-marc
Marc_C

Postby Admin » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:59 pm

A friend back there posted to FB:"Not the powder day I had planned (the wind took care of that scouring some places and crusting others) but any sunny day at Magic Mountain is a fun adventure."

Admin
Site Admin

Postby berkshireskier » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:16 pm

jamesdeluxe wrote:

If you look into the Terms of Service to which you agreed when registering for this forum, you have to also provide a disclaimer that conditions will suck again soon and that you'd rather be skiing at Alta, well, just because.

LOL, yea, I accept your admonishment! I freely admit that, in reality, there may be one or two days, every five or six years, where the conditions in the East are better than the conditions in MOST of the West. Tomorrow may be one of those days! Just got done waxing my Eastern powder skis .... you know, the ones with the 72MM waist.
berkshireskier

Postby berkshireskier » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:19 pm

Admin wrote:A friend back there posted to FB:"Not the powder day I had planned (the wind took care of that scouring some places and crusting others) but any sunny day at Magic Mountain is a fun adventure."

Yea......the good news is it snowed about 10 or 12 inches yesterday. Bad news......the winds were brutal and blew most of that light, powdery snow right into the woods!
berkshireskier

Postby berkshireskier » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:21 pm

Marc_C wrote:

Probably. It's one of the 5 good days you get every other season.
A whole 1-3 inches. Yep. A full on powder day.

Yea, nothing like skiing 1" of fresh powder on top of a rock hard, completely frozen manmade base!
berkshireskier

Postby Tony Crocker » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:35 pm

Actually the Northeast is having a considerably above average season. Conditions have been very good for the past 3 weeks. Perversely there were major rain events right before Christmas and MLK.

I would not be surprised to see the US skier visit record of 60.5 million broken this season.
1) Both East and all Western regions are having above average seasons since before Christmas.
2) We are hearing lots of anecdotal reports about how busy many resorts are this season.
No surprise with pent-up demand during the first overall above average season since 2010-11.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Postby Marc_C » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:14 pm

An inbounds skier-triggered avalanche closed Snow King for the remainder of the day yesterday:

http://www.tetongravity.com/story/news/snow-king-resort-closes-due-to-inbounds-avalanche

Also, according to that article, JHMR plans to reopen on Monday.
-marc
Marc_C

Postby kingslug » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:45 am

Several years ago when the the west was in a drought I met ski patrollers from Jackson and many people from various western resorts...including Alta...at...Stowe. We had 3 feet. Interesting day...
kingslug

Postby kingslug » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:48 am

And Okemo had plenty of snow despite the wind.
kingslug

Postby Tony Crocker » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:55 am

There are many times when skiing is better in New England than in the West. The problem is that we know about those instances about 3 days in advance and of course a week later you could get a rain/freeze. So I'm wondering how these western ski area employees had the time and $$$ flexibility to score that 3 foot storm at Stowe.

I'm also curious if Okemo has any terrain with enough pitch to ski deep powder.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Postby kingslug » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:38 pm

Don't know about the guys I met at Stowe..guess they hopped on a plane and...went.
Okemo has nothing really steep but it has some drop offs that accumulated. Their double d's would be a black run anywhere else. They groom the [censored] out of 70% of the runs anyway. Heard a guy on the line saying it was his worst day ever...didn't like the ungroomed stuff...
kingslug

PreviousNext

Return to Western North America