Alta, UT 2/18/2017

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Day 37: Exceeding expectations.

After a week of insanely warm weather, a measly 8" of new snow (7" since Friday closing) didn't give me warm fuzzies. I was thinking "dust on crust" but I was thankfully quite wrong.

Today skied surprisingly well, especially on lower angle stuff. This stuff had some meat to it, so it kept you off the base most of the time. And in most places the moisture in the snow seemed to suck some of the stiffness out of the base, too. Back 40 absolutely rocked. Few of the holiday guests were venturing onto Backside so it wasn't hard to find untracked even there. It was hard to have a bad run today.

It continued to snow at varying intensities all day. It was so grey and featureless that the only photos I took were at lunch. We decided to go upscale and dined mid-mountain at Collins Grill (in the top floor of Watson Shelter). I haven't eaten there in a couple of seasons, but ironically my scallops and linguine cost about the same as a burger, fries, soda and perhaps a cookie at another nearby ski area. It would have, that is, if Sima hadn't picked up the tab for the whole table. :shock:

20170218_132404.jpg

20170218_132408.jpg

20170218_132632.jpg

20170218_141007.jpg

I stuck it out until the bitter end, finishing the day on Sunnyside tooling around the hill with Mira & Sima's 5-year-old. I even took him for his first out-of-bounds powder run. :-$ That was followed by a pitcher of beer at GMD to start to repay my lunch debt while I let traffic drain out of the canyon.

A good example of sometimes the denser snow is better. 8 inches of high water content snow will keep you off whatever annoying subsurface may have been there before.

Back