Red Mt., B.C., Feb. 28, 2017

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
For the 8th time I stayed in Angela’s B&B in Rossland. http://www.visitred.com/ Leslie Anthony at Powder Magazine told me about Angela before my first visit in 1997.

Tuesday remained cool in the 15F range like the past few days but was sunny most of the morning. There had been 8 inches of snow during the day Sunday, so most of that got skied then. After a couple of warmup runs on the Red chair, Angela ran into a couple of her local friends and we followed them off the backside of Red.
IMG_8807.JPG

After that we made our way to Motherlode chair. View from the top there.
IMG_8810.JPG

Angela led me along the top ridge of Granite to view the most extreme Cooler drop-offs on the north side. Cooler 2 is the easiest one.
IMG_8813.JPG

We did not go in there but took the highest traverse line above Silver Sheep to get ~200 vertical of untracked behind the Paradise chair. After that I skied a couple of Paradise cruisers and went into lunch at Paradise Lodge. By then it had clouded over and I needed to get warmer.

After lunch I went via Doug’s Trees to Grey Mountain, which I had skied only on my previous 2014 trip. From Grey there is a good view of the north side of Granite.
IMG_8822.JPG

I skied a short powder stash in the trees to Get Up Stand Up. From the trail there’s a view up to the cliffy north side of Grey.
IMG_8824.JPG

Another view of north side of Granite with Red Mt. in upper left brackgound.
IMG_8827.JPG

I spotted the line at center which remains open all the way down. That is Booty’s Run which I skied later. The runouts in tighter trees are exhausting once the new snow has been skied out.

I next traversed out the spine of Grey to ski its wide open south side.
IMG_8828.JPG

Unfortunately this had been hit by the morning sun, but I had a great powder run out here in 2014.

I took one last ride up Motherlode, upper liftline terrain there.
IMG_8830.JPG

Overview of Grey from Granite:
IMG_8836.JPG

I skied Booty’s which I had scoped earlier.
IMG_8835.JPG

The Rafters Bar still has my 1979 and 1986 skis on display.
IMG_8838.JPG

I went by Red’s offices for quick chat with Marketing Manage Nicole Briggs. Red’s expansion plans are on display in this model.
IMG_8839.JPG

The White Wolf upper left and Kirkuk chairs upper right would be new and add some more intermediate runs. Kirkuk is now accessible by snowcat for $10 per ride.

Red has been in the news recently for offering shares at $1000 for skiers to invest in the mountain. This is not a co-op but equity financing via crowdfunding to build those two new lifts and add/upgrade up-mountain facilities on Grey and Paradise. https://www.startengine.com/startup/red-mountain-resort

Back