Camping near Currant Creek Peak, UT 6/23-25/2017

Admin

Administrator
Staff member

I just got back from 3 days/2 nights of camping at 10,000 feet in the Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest southeast of Park City, Utah.

Less than 90 minutes from home, this underutilized area is one of my favorite places to camp. Literally tens of thousands of acres (hundreds of thousands?) are criss-crossed by Forest Service roads, many of which are graded and improved gravel roads. Some of the unimproved roads, too, are easily negotiated by an RV. That means nearly limitless places to camp, all with spectacular views. While I've camped is this general area in the past, this time I'd explore a section that was new to me, and it was my first time there since purchasing my first travel trailer.

Friend Dale and my two dogs joined me, and Dale's wife came up for night #2. The weather was perfect with cloudless skies, barely a breeze, and daytime highs in the upper 60s/low 70s and overnight lows around 40ºF. Our nearest neighbor was about a half mile away. Dale proudly proclaimed each day the "best day ever!"

It hasn't been long that the road has been passable. In fact, it's good that we made camp where we did, for a half mile further south a snow drift crossed the road that would've been impassable with a trailer, and was barely passable in my truck by itself.

Nearing camp.

My girl Zoe at camp.

Our camp.

Hiking the ridgeline above our camp.

A panorama from the ridgeline above our camp. Our camp is visible at left middle ground if you click through to view the original size photo.

Zoe on the ridgeline. Our camp is visible at right middle ground, as the High Peaks of the western Uinta Mountains dominate the horizon.

I'm a proud Evo owner, my first RV.

Our camp.

The Wasatch Mountains just to our west.

Maggie just adores snow.

Maggie at camp.

When Maggie wanted to be alone, she'd just walk off to go to sleep on the snow adjacent to camp.

Back in the Salt Lake Valley today, the dump station at the Cottonwood Water District was busier than I've ever seen it. By the time it was my turn to dump, there were five rigs lined up behind me.

Back