Video TR: Valley of the Gods, Monument Valley and Navajo NM

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Patricia and I just got back last night from a week long trip through southern Utah, northern Arizona and southern Nevada. Part 1 of our trip is now on my new Grand Adventure YouTube channel in beautiful 4K. Upcoming episodes will cover the rest of the trip, including Flagstaff, Sedona, the Grand Canyon, Lake Mead and Valley of Fire, so subscribe to the channel on YouTube to catch it all!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uY-FV9bMg8[/youtube]

In the meantime, for those who are wondering, now that I'm back FTO's summer news hiatus ends this week, so check the home page regularly.

Marc:

Very nice! I really enjoyed the video, but was disappointed you did not make it into Monument Valley. I guess I will have to go see for myself!

mrgskier":10yrbhqk said:
Marc:

Very nice! I really enjoyed the video, but was disappointed you did not make it into Monument Valley. I guess I will have to go see for myself!

Thanks!

I was speaking with Tcope about this over dinner last night. Apparently, the loop road through the Tribal Park is just that -- a loop road -- so he believed that they're unjustified in prohibiting trailers in there. The tribal ranger at the entrance said that the restriction was due to switchbacks and drop-offs, which Tcope denies exist. And that ranger should've seen me drive the trailer down the Moki Dugway! :wink:

Admin":2ehrka4e said:
I was speaking with Tcope about this over dinner last night. Apparently, the loop road through the Tribal Park is just that -- a loop road -- so he believed that they're unjustified in prohibiting trailers in there. The tribal ranger at the entrance said that the restriction was due to switchbacks and drop-offs, which Tcope denies exist. And that ranger should've seen me drive the trailer down the Moki Dugway! :wink:
Consider that the road is about 13 miles long and takes 2-3 hrs. Yes, there are some switchbacks - not as steep as the Dugway, but tight for a long vehicle. The "dropoffs" are not what you've come to know in the Moab area - they're more in the tens of feet rather than hundreds, but enough, coupled with narrow spots, where the wheel of a trailer can go off the road and become an epic extraction.
I wouldn't want a trailer on that road - certainly not one the size you have.

In Monument Valley April 2011 with road in foreground:
IMG_8802.JPG

Richard in my then new car in pull out area for parking:
IMG_8800.JPG

If those photos are any indication, their rationale for prohibiting trailers is ridiculous.

Admin":qoa1fevj said:
If those photos are any indication, their rationale for prohibiting trailers is ridiculous.
When we were there we encountered a car of similar class to Tony's - it was mired up to its axles in deep sand. On the road.

I got some instruction on driving that car in the sand from admin a year later at Lake Powell.

I do not recall much sand in Monument Valley, though I'm sure you could catch the aftermath of an unlucky windstorm.

Tony Crocker":1058tock said:
I do not recall much sand in Monument Valley, though I'm sure you could catch the aftermath of an unlucky windstorm.
Road conditions in MV can vary drastically depending on recent weather.

Back