Video TR (non-skiing): Camping Flagstaff/Sedona/Grand Canyon

MarcC":3sbmkdwy said:
Surprisingly - well, I was surprised - the Cayenne is rather capable. When it first came out
Too capable according to most owners and car reviews of version 1 introduced in 2002, which was supposedly tested going across the Sahara. That version weighed nearly 5,000 pounds, got terrible mileage and was a bit slow unless you spent the big bucks for the turbo. Mine is the first of version 2, which was 450 pounds lighter and has an 8-speed transmission instead of a low gear transfer case. You can get a protective floor pan if you plan on a lot of rough road use.

I presume there's a learning curve in off trail driving. So as a newbie Shafer was probably a reasonable limit regardless of what I was driving.

There is a learning curve, the most important element of which is to know where every single one of your wheels is at all times just by instinct.

Admin":1utnwr6c said:
I think I'll take a pass.
Remember that the tip-toe version is rated 3.5, but you still get to do most of the stuff in that video! And if a Crown-Vic can get back there......

Tony Crocker":3kfmfydt said:
I presume there's a learning curve in off trail driving. So as a newbie Shafer was probably a reasonable limit regardless of what I was driving.
You bet there is! Did you go down the Shafer? If so, how did you exit? Assuming you went out via Potash (as opposed to turning around and going back up Shafer), I feel that section is slightly more technical 4x4 than the 1500' of Shafer switch-backs. And the Shafer can vary quite a bit depending on when it was last bladed and recent weather.

Admin":2l3ss65x said:
There is a learning curve, the most important element of which is to know where every single one of your wheels is at all times just by instinct.
Go as slow as you can, and as fast as you need to.
A momentum bounce can help get up steps. It can also cause a tip-over if you're too aggressive on the gas.
Know *exactly* where the low points on the underside are located. Put a piece of tape on the hood to match the front diff if necessary.
Take an obstacle obliquely if possible, one wheel at a time.
If there's a ground clearance testing rock in front of you, don't straddle it, put a wheel on it.
Try to do as much as possible 2WD or 4-Hi - save 4-Lo for when you really need it. Same with lockers if you have them.
Always scout the line on foot if there's any question.
There's no stigma in using a spotter whenever necessary, esp. when all you can see is hood and sky. (Assuming your spotter knows what the hell they are doing!)
Keep your thumbs out of the steering wheel on rough terrain! Unless you like broken thumbs or wrists that is.
The proper line is more important than your paint job or body panels.
If your wheel is binding between rocks, reassess the situation and your line instead of giving more gas and hearing the sickening snap of a CV or universal or axle.
On difficult terrain, don't brake with your right foot - use your left, keeping the right always in control of the gas.

Evren":18afhwx0 said:
So... would you guys suggest a vantage point I can easily hike to, that would give me maximum opportunity to see & photograph some of this action up close?
Hiking is a little rough since a lot of the classic obstacles are several miles in - having (renting perhaps?) a mountain bike would make it a whole lot more enjoyable. Hells Revenge is the easiest, esp. since it's intimate with the slick rock bike trail (which isn't easy, btw). Near by is Potato Salad Hill, also infamous for roll-overs. Pritchett Canyon is another one, since you can walk it faster than a Jeep can drive it and it has several notorious obstacles, but again, several miles in from the trailhead. The opening part of Clilffhanger (aka Amasa Back) is another possibility. Moab Rim off of the road to Kane Creek (the street with McDonald's on the corner) maybe as well.
There are a lot of difficult obstacles on Golden Spike, but it's a long trip to get to them (not hikeable).

The real trick is to be there when someone is actually running the trail. Pritchett and Moab Rim don't get done as often due to their difficulty (there's about a 10% wounded vehicle rate for those trails). For that reason, the HR area is probably your best bet since Dan Mick regularly runs trips there. At worst you'd have a good day of mountain biking.

Evren":18afhwx0 said:
Is it worthwhile, if you don't have any skin in the game?
Hard to answer. Yeah, it's cool to watch if you're into it - others may find it boring after watching one vehicle. Remember that a lot of the videos are shot during Easter Jeep Safari, hence the throngs watching and the party atmosphere.

Another option would be a Dan Mick tour, but it is pricey: $300 for a half day for 3 people, $350 for 4; $600 for a full day. Find a group you can hook up with? Call them and see if they can include you with other solos or small family?

Option 2 would be to rent your own jeep - about $100/day - and do one or some of the easier trails:
Chicken Corners
up Long Canyon down Shafer and out Potash (or reverse)
Gemini Bridges
Tusher Canyon/Merrimac & Monitor Buttes
Onion Creek
The 4x4 trail in Arches - inquire at the visitor center about conditions (some sections of deep-ish sand)
Colorado River Overlook - starts at the visitor center in the Needes district of Canyonlands NP, an hour south of Moab. Again inquire about conditions before heading down - it's frequently closed after rains.

Marc_C":2mrfk5ae said:
also infamous for roll-overs.

Bingo. You knew what I hoped to see, without me saying it :-$

Thanks, this is all the info I need. This is a very busy weekend coming up in Moab for some reason so there shouldn't be a shortage of people running the trail. Anybody know why, by the way? Some people from Colorado said they experienced the same thing last year and were told it was a special holiday weekend in Utah. None that I am aware of. Anyway, I hope to head up Hell's Revenge and... :popcorn:

jasoncapecod":p86gvtrb said:
Sedona, Moab , no mountain biking?..that's like going to Alta on powder day and drinking beer in the lodge
Despite all those options statewide, Admin doesn't seem to have caught the mtb bug.

Evren":14olyv6e said:
This is a very busy weekend coming up in Moab for some reason so there shouldn't be a shortage of people running the trail. Anybody know why, by the way? Some people from Colorado said they experienced the same thing last year and were told it was a special holiday weekend in Utah. None that I am aware of.
UEA weekend. Started yesterday (Thursday).

Tony Crocker":2y2ji7i2 said:
I presume there's a learning curve in off trail driving.
In addition to the tips I mentioned (some repeated):
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW537gsR5n4[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k13svgZ9Z8[/youtube]

Admin":24dob5du said:
I think I'll take a pass.
Very lightly modified.....Subaru! Some nice drone footage as well.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DslXqIfWigs[/youtube]

Evren":2q75idxr said:
Marc_C":2q75idxr said:
also infamous for roll-overs.

Bingo. You knew what I hoped to see, without me saying it :-$

Thanks, this is all the info I need. This is a very busy weekend coming up in Moab for some reason so there shouldn't be a shortage of people running the trail.
So Ev, did you go? See anything cool?

One last one....
It took me a while to find a good video of the Moab Rim trail. What I like about this guy is that he really has his stuff together. It's pretty obvious he's run the trail before, but he has a very fluid driving style that's almost like skiing a little bit.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1CuO3SWJYo[/youtube]

At work I actually got a claim this week for a guy who rolled his 99 Cherokee on Golden Spike and totalled it.

Admin":3my6tdwt said:
At work I actually got a claim this week for a guy who rolled his 99 Cherokee on Golden Spike and totalled it.
No shit! Yeah, Golden Spike is way tough. I don't plan on doing that one, either. Moab Rim would be great if it wasn't for that first mile or so, which is notorious for breaking axles and drive trains.

Back