Southern Idaho skiing

Admin":298cttxg said:
I most certainly appreciate the feedback, and I'll readily admit that it's tough to weed out footage. Thank you. Most of my vids have been anywhere from 4-12 minutes each. I thought about splitting this one in 3, and perhaps I should have.

I'm sure it's a learning process but now watching a decent amount of YouTube, the best content is tightly edited with good story telling. For your channel i think that's especially true since it's not the VLOG type and more episodic.

I started taking photos sorta seriously about 3 years ago and I laugh sometimes looking back at my "keepers" from back then. I'm sure you'll do the same with your videos.

Thanks for the report. The length is a plus cuz I will return to this video later after having already caught the highlights.

Idaho is a great state for making small talk with strangers! Say your filling up at the pump and a local smiles while doing the same. As yer wondering what to chitchat about you read about the famous potatoes on the plates and go from there...

jasoncapecod":2ptpc9ju said:
I really liked the video report!!

as a previous poster said , a little shorter..always leave'm wanting more..

Thanks, Jason.

I liked the video, especially the shot of the falls. Its a cool venture. Glenn Plake used to and I think still does visit little ski areas but does not make videos of it, just spreads the good will. Keep it up !!!

Nice job, Marc. I'll chime in with a shortened version of the video, too... but this is coming from someone that posts 100 pictures from a weekend trip on FB.. :bow:

I have always looked at Pebble (and scratched my head with dumbfoundeness and intrigue at the same time) on my way to SLC when I lived in Teton Valley. Thanks for help creating a better picture of the place.

jamesdeluxe":1yucbxq9 said:
That ^^ may seem like an insult, but if you turn your laptop 90 degrees and read it again, you'll see that he's actually complimenting your TR work!
This point is correct. Admin's TR's from Alta were the go-to source for LCC conditions, updated at least once a week. And they are especially informative during the developing part of the season as terrain is first opened. That developing period has been rather drawn out in 2017-18 and it is both sad and annoying not to see them this year, as we did during the similarly slow starting 2011-12 season.

Enjoyed the video, I've driven by Pebble and Pomerel dozens of times over the years . Pebble has never looked better than your visit,still want to ski it some day, and a low angle storm day at Pomerel sounds fun.

Tony Crocker":1d70yt5o said:
This point is correct. Admin's TR's from Alta were the go-to source for LCC conditions, updated at least once a week. And they are especially informative during the developing part of the season as terrain is first opened. That developing period has been rather drawn out in 2017-18 and it is both sad and annoying not to see them this year, as we did during the similarly slow starting 2011-12 season.
Maybe those early season days were just kinda uninteresting? Have you noticed that no one else who skis Alta regularly bothers with TRs? Have you also noticed you're almost the only one who cares? A few others have noted the lack, but they're more concerned with the why rather than the content.

Regarding the video, I thought it was one of the better ones in the GA catalog. Too long? Maybe, but I liked the depth of content that is lacking in some of his earlier videos. Splitting into 3 segments might be a good compromise, but then it would lack the continuity of a single 4-5 day trip. Hell, some was even City of Rocks content (one of my fave climbing areas).

As far as video vs text - I don't read most of the wall of text TRs; I just look at the pics and skim, maybe reading a paragraph if there's something of interest. As far as what runs and what lifts you took when and why - frankly I just don't care. The nice thing about Admin's video is that it DIDN'T mention any of that stuff and SHOWED what the areas were like.

MarcC":o4bhlr0z said:
Have you also noticed you're almost the only one who cares?
You must have missed this thread, which I did not start: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12563

I may be the only person who uses regular TR's to reconstruct a season history http://bestsnow.net/utahhist.htm but lots of of people want to know contemporary conditions from locals. After all that's the touted attraction of the section, "No-Bull Ski Reports," as opposed to marketing spin from the resorts, which is rampant in seasons like this.

Tony Crocker":wna1qiu1 said:
MarcC":wna1qiu1 said:
Have you also noticed you're almost the only one who cares?
You must have missed this thread, which I did not start: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12563"

I saw it. That's why I said: "A few others have noted the lack, but they're more concerned with the why rather than the content."

Tony Crocker":wna1qiu1 said:
I may be the only person who uses regular TR's to reconstruct a season history http://bestsnow.net/utahhist.htm but lots of of people want to know contemporary conditions from locals. After all that's the touted attraction of the section, "No-Bull Ski Reports," as opposed to marketing spin from the resorts, which is rampant in seasons like this.
Again, other than Admin, how many Alta locals regularly post Alta TRs here?

Only one is necessary if the reports are as thorough and timely as admin’s were.

Bill’s Blog at Fernie has a good following even though it rarely includes pictures. Craig’s Fernie blog with pictures was very popular and he got lots of emails when he cut back on his skiing.

Back