Park City, UT 3/2/2018

tseeb

After playing video blackjack and poker in Wendover, NV for way too long, then cashing out for the dollar I started with and getting 5 or so hours of sleep, I had a coffee and yogurt and got on I-80E before 6. I stayed below the 80 mph limit most of the way as it seemed too fast, especially passing trucks that tried to suck me into them. I later heard that a few of them tipped in winds of about 70 mph. See https://www.ksl.com/article/46272304/st ... ear-tooele

After filling up with $2.18 regular in SLC, I drove to Kimball Juction and stopped for breakfast at Whole Foods. I thought I was doing well on time, but did not realize what a sh-tshow I was running into. Since I had parked at main Park City lot twice last April, I thought I'd try using the parking and Cabriolet at Canyons to save a few miles. I wondered why so many people were in line for buses until seeing sign well into parking lot that all lifts from Canyons were closed due to wind. I re-routed to main PCMR lot, but it filled before I could get in and after a misstep or two parked in almost a foot of snow in empty area on town side of parking lot that quickly filled. EpicMix shows me loading PayDay before 10. Next I rode Bonanza to the Summit House where I went in to tighten boots.

I skied and rode Motherlode three times before crowds drove me away. I skied steep groomer Bruce's, then ungroomed 'double-diamond' Motherlode Meadows where snow was smoothest where brushy
IMG_5595.JPG
before skiing down run next to where Jr. (Nationals?) were running a mogul course with a couple of jumps.
IMG_5593.JPG
IMG_5594.JPG
I moved to McConkey's where singles line was fast the first time, but quickly got worse. I skied the Bowl, where I took a very sporting line through some untracked trees that bounced me out across some big moguls. Groomed Tycoon was much smoother and easier. There was nobody in singles line on Pioneer triple, a slow lift I'm not sure I ever rode before. I repeated it three times, taken a groomer once and a couple laps in and in trees to skiers right of Blue Slip Bowl. I also skied into and rode Thaynes once although line for slow double was long. Jupiter and gondola to Canyons were only lifts not running.

I thought I found an uncrowded lift, King Con, just before taking a break at Miners Camp, but when I got to it again line had grown. Then on my third time at bottom (second after lunch), not only had line gotten worse, but chair was running slow and stopping a lot, so I moved to front-side skiing Erica's gold which had small, but challenging bumps. Crescent had very short line so I rode it three times, skiing Crescent, Silver Skis and Silver King, all of which had been recently groomed and skied well, especially if sun was hitting them. I finished my day with a lap on Pay Day at almost 3:30. Ski patrol was enforcing that all of skiers right was closed for racing, but I was able to go left then take a traverse into a run that should have been open. EpicMix counted 18 lifts and over 22.5K.

While it would have been nice to join admin and other UT skiing friends for sushi, after driving over 850 miles and skiing two days in a day and a half, I could barely make it to the restaurant in my motel near airport, shower and pickup my wife about 9. Today was relaxing as we re-located from near SLC to So. Ogden where we hope to have a short drive to a couple of powder days at Snowbasin. Besides taking a long walk around 'downtown' Ogden including Union Station and some stops on 25th streets,
IMG_5607.JPG
IMG_5608.JPG
we visited Level Nine in SLC and the Salomon/Arcteryx outlet in Ogden. The first is highly recommended. But I had to ask the guy at Arcteryx if they were making their $500+ (before discount) shells on another planet and shipping them to Earth. They also had mens underwear, regularly $45 each, but only $32 at outlet, then 25 or 35% off. Probably will not be posting the next 6 days, at least for a while, but plan after two days at Snowbasin is Alta Tues, Snowbird Wed, Alta Thurs (with DPS demos and apres event at Peruvian), then Snowbird Fri and home by Sat. night.

Nice reports Tony.
Hopefully when retired my financial position will allow for the frequency of ski days that you enjoy.
How many days do you expect to ski this winter?

Thanks Simon.
Sunday at Snowbasin was day 30 for me and day 1 for my wife. She started her season with a powder day as I did mine in Nov.
I have skied 52 days the previous two years and expect to be around that again this year. I will be getting a second trip to Canada this season as a timeshare trade I've been requesting for a couple of years came through for Apr 13-20 and my son and I both paid $90 extra to upgrade our Vail passes to include 10 days at Whistler.

I’m at 31 days so today is the day Tseeb will pass me.

But I have a late season advantage with easier access to Mammoth.

I'm surprised I was ahead of Tony Crocker, but that won't last for long as my last day in skiing in UT was day 35 for me and if he skis from last Thurs thru next Sat, he will have 41. So even if I get to Tahoe for some of the 1-4 FEET predicted by Fri night, I won't catch up.

The (short version) rest of the story behind the "You Have to Eat to Drink (Welcome to Utah)" shirt is that brewpub in Ogden is licensed as a restaurant. They had three guys come in and order two pizzas, but one guy said he was not going to eat. When he ordered and was served a beer, the brewpub received an $800 fine that they have more than made up selling the shirts.

Back