Mt Bachelor, OR 4/21/2018

tseeb

After driving 540 miles from Whistler to Bend on Friday, my wife and and I skied Bachelor with two local friends and two of their young teenage children plus part of the morning we were joined by another guy who had a tryout for ski patrol at 11. My record on Summit is now 2 days out of 6 in four trips over last five years. Predicted weather seemed like Summit would open, but we were surprised to find it snowing in parking lot when we arrived and some wind at mid-mountain. West Village Lodge at base of Pine Marten lift at 910View attachment 3Clouds quickly cleared and winds died but Summit had a mechanical problem that kept it closed. I heard it was a fuse which seems like it should be easily fixed and when I asked at ticket office for more info after skiing,the lady I talked to, who may have been in charge there said problem was discovered Fri when shutting down and could not be fixed. When I told here I re-routed my long trip to get to Bachelor on a day Summit should be open she offered me a ticket for another day that I accepted and thanked her for, even though I needed to get my wife home on Sunday and I'm not planning to go back.

Conditions on Cloudchaser were good early. Picture is my wife and friend's daughter near top of (new last year) lift
5866LuciaAlexandraSkiingTopOfCloudchaser.JPG
Some of Northwest was too firm early and bottom of it got sticky in early PM, but that's what can happen when chair is 2350' vertical. Picture is my wife and I on road near top of Northwest with South Sister at left, North Sister between us, some of Middle Sister over my wife's head and Broken Top at right.
View attachment 1Some of Pine Marten was still good until 3 and we quit not much afterwards with my watch counting just over 30K. But without Summit, you lose a lot of Bachelor steep terrain plus the higher altitude and 360 degree skiing from the top that should have provided good snow all day. My wife enjoyed her two nights staying with friends in Bend and her first day skiing Bachelor in 30 years (on top of our two nights there last August for the Eclipse) enough that it's on our short list of places to move if we ever leave CA.
5870LuciaPubBeer.JPG
We took advantage of 10 Barrel brewery event at base of Skyliner lift. They had a DJ and were selling 25 ounce cans of their Pub Draft for $6.50 and pints of their IPA for $7.50 - we tried one of each. We stopped at Deschutes Tap Room on way back to Bend and filled my growler with Fresh Chair beer - a collaboration with Crux not available in bottles or cans.

Attachments

• 5865WestLodgeBase@910.JPG
    5865WestLodgeBase@910.JPG
    411.9 KB · Views: 7,779
  • 5869LuciaTony@BachelorWSisters.JPG
    5869LuciaTony@BachelorWSisters.JPG
    519.4 KB · Views: 7,787
Well that does stink having Summit closed for non-weather ops issues.

tseeb":3r6r4ieg said:
10 Barrel brewery event at base of Skyliner lift.

That seems weird to me. Lots of local Breweries in bend, but 10 Barrel from Denver was supplying suds?? :-k

10 Barrel started in Bend. Read https://10barrel.com/culture/our-story/ which says they were in Bend in 2006, 10 years before they were in Denver. They also are now in Portland, Boise and San Diego. And for better or worse, they partnered with Anheuser-Busch in 2014.

Summit ran all day on Sunday before going down again on Monday when friend I stay with went back. Not sure if we can blame it on Powder.

Back