Squaw Valley, CA 5/20/2018

tseeb

I wasn't sure if my season was over nearly a month ago in Oregon viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12664" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but I had a three to four day window between wife's my relative's visit (and preparing house for company), grandchilden's musical performances (2nd grade grandson debuted on drums at School of Rock event in downtown San Jose bar Sat. night) and getting home in plenty of time to be ready for niece's wedding in Napa Valley this Friday. I have free skiing at Squaw from next year's Ikon pass plus three unused days there from this year's MCP (that will go to waste, but hopefully Squaw collects less from me using Ikon there than MCP).

I left home about 4:40 and arrived Squaw at 8, my first skiing at North Tahoe this season. After getting Squaw Spring/Summer pass, I ran into @Near Nyquist and @Unpiste about 830 in plaza by Funitel. We rode it together, but I lost them before getting on snow. Maybe they were waiting for @Luqi and another person whose (other website) screen name I couldn't find and who were both breaking in new boots. I did three laps on SE-facing Gold Coast groomers where snow was very good early. Then I did three laps on steeper E-facing Siberia where nothing was groomed so snow was more challenging. Mogul course was marked Racer's Only so I went past it although it looked like public was skiing it later in day.

To exit, I skied still firm Siberia Ridge then went down left side of Gold Coast terrain park before rding lift and skiing to Shirley where I found the others. We skied runs on both sides close to lift, then took a lap into Shirley Chute that I did not think was worth the long traverse. They all went to Gold Coast Lodge to get and leave some water while I lapped all of the Shirley Lake groomers at least once, repeating a couple of them while hoping race course would open to public. After at least 12 laps on Shirley, I went back to Siberia and hiked Reverse Traverse to ski North Bowl where top was good, but most of the bottom half was too soft. Next time up I was about to start hike to Palisades and @Near Nyquist called to say he and @Unpiste were at top where they waited for me.

We all did three laps into National Chute and I did three Reverse Traverses. Snow stayed good up high. After picking up beer I had to kick hole in firm snow to bury earlier, we downloaded Funitel about 1:45 (trying to avoid 2 pm closing rush). My watch counted 24 runs and just under 19K. Coverage was good, but they needed a little more cloud cover or lower temps for snow to make it through the day at under 9K. After skiing I went by my bootfitter where they stuck a wider piece of foam than I expected on back of liner to try to get rid of small space that has developed below left heel bone after over 100 days use and is giving me a hot spot from rubbing.

I drove to So Tahoe where I stopped at South Tahoe Brewing Co, the only place on beer trail there I had not been before. I did not try the beer sampler ski which holds at least four more samples than are in this picture. They also have smaller ones. I bought a 4-pack of Pillow Line Pale Ale (It says Smooth * Citrus * Fluffy, hopped with El Dorado and Mosaic and 5.2%), the only beer they had in cans.

More pictures are going to have to wait although here's one of @Near_Nyquist in National Chute.

Attachments

• 1810TomCloseGoingBy.JPG
    1810TomCloseGoingBy.JPG
    463.2 KB · Views: 6,954
Back