A-Basin and Loveland Opening 18-19 Season

egieszl

Arapahoe Basin will open on Friday, October 19 and Loveland will open on Saturday, October 20.

The usual terrain at both resorts. A-Basin will have High Noon and Loveland will be Catwalk, Mambo, and Home Run. Loveland will debut their brand new Leitner-Poma high-speed quad chair Chet's Dream on Saturday.

So far Colorado is off to a good start with the natural snow.

Anyone want to go ski the one open run??

abasincam1001m.jpg

That picture explains why A-Basin's skiing now is very much the same as Killington's and Sunday River's.

Tony Crocker":3mefuo3j said:
That picture explains why A-Basin's skiing now is very much the same as Killington's and Sunday River's.

Maybe. Certainly either one is way too crowded for me. A triple serving 5 open acres or a HSQ serving 28 open acres? I'm going to guess one is a bit less crowded than the other, though both are way too crowded.

I'll definitely take the couple inches of new that fell on the Basin overnight on an 18" base instead of the searching for rocks and dirt aspect of "6 inch" base depths too...

Though both will have the same vibe amongst the locals.

The base can be apples and oranges. If there's grass underneath, as I've seen in New Zealand and is more likely in the East, you can get away with a thinner base than typical western gravel.

I've had two of those early dates at Killington, Oct. 28, 1988 and Nov. 7, 1993. I don't recall rocks. I do recall the manmade snow getting slick and solid at choke points from excess traffic. I'm sure Wolf Creek offers the best skiing now, because it's so remote.

The Final EPIC day at ABasin was July 4th and looks shockingly similar to the EPIC opening day from above.

It looks a bit worse in this pic than reality was, since the upper mtn still had a fair bit of snow with 8 or so trails/routes open. On the other hand parking lots were 100% full by ~8:30am for slush skiing on a whopping ~8 trails.

They've opened for a couple additional weekends with terrain park only (upload/download BML and hike the park for your own laps).

Abasin July4.jpg

Back