Taos, NM, March 20, 2019

baldyskier

This was my first time going to Taos. Jojo Obrien noted in a trip report back in 2016 that Taos was like "Mt. Baldy on steroids". I concur with that description. There is a lot of interesting terrain, much of it steeper than I'm interested in skiing, although I found plenty that I liked. Taos had gotten a big dump of snow several days before I arrived. I met a guy at the Airbnb we were staying at in Arroyo Seco who had skied Taos on Tuesday. I was concerned that it might be icy, but he said that the snow was holding up well. We skied together on Wednesday.
Dave is a part time ski instructor at Keystone and Vail. He also had had a career as a photographer, which is another interest of mine. I enjoyed our time together, and Dave was generous with tips on skiing.
We climbed up above Chair 2 on our first run, going down one of the steep runs off Highline Ridge. It was a little steeper than I'm comfortable with, but was skiable. Most of the rest of the day was on more moderate terrain, though still steep enough. The snow held up well for most of the day, although at least half of the mountain got wet from the sun by the end of the day. Liftlines were almost nil.

Attachments

• 20190320_095332.jpg
    20190320_095332.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6,244
  • 20190320_101617.jpg
    20190320_101617.jpg
    725.3 KB · Views: 6,237
  • 20190320_112331.jpg
    20190320_112331.jpg
    695.2 KB · Views: 6,245
  • 20190320_123845.jpg
    20190320_123845.jpg
    467.3 KB · Views: 6,244
  • 20190320_152947.jpg
    20190320_152947.jpg
    820.7 KB · Views: 6,245
Such a great place. Hope you had a good time in quiet Arroyo Seco. Good place to lodge -- affordable - lots of great little options on AirBnb. There's a great restaurant around there (Aceq), lots of fun.

Kachina is all time........lots of steeps - and can't beat the view. I've hit it good on my days there, but not all time. I'd love to hit Taos on a big pow day. This was the year!! I bet it's incredible.

Skiing New Mexico isn't just skiing -- it's more of an experience. Lots of great culture, food, can't beat it.

jojo_obrien":5lf8bclb said:
Such a great place. Hope you had a good time in quiet Arroyo Seco. Good place to lodge -- affordable - lots of great little options on AirBnb. There's a great restaurant around there (Aceq), lots of fun.

Kachina is all time........lots of steeps - and can't beat the view. I've hit it good on my days there, but not all time. I'd love to hit Taos on a big pow day. This was the year!! I bet it's incredible.

Skiing New Mexico isn't just skiing -- it's more of an experience. Lots of great culture, food, can't beat it.

Yes, we enjoyed Arroyo Seco. We went to Aceq, as well as to Abe's Cocina (decent burritos, only open for breakfast and lunch), and Sol Food Market & Cafe (very good sandwiches).

I only did one run on Kachina; it had quite a few moguls my first day, and was only open briefly the 2nd day (and I missed that window). I did see some Bighorn sheep off the back side when I was on the peak the first day.

I definitely plan to return, especially if I get the Mountain Collective again. Of course, it will take another good winter to make it worthwhile, as Taos needs a healthy base to cover the steeps. Based on Tony's recent reports, it looks like Santa Fe and Pajarito are worth checking out, as well.

Back