Copper, CO 3-1-20

EMSC

In an odd sort of twist we book-ended the annual Guys trip with days at Copper. Again it was the same 3 involved, though my Brother had to hit a shuttle out of Copper by a little after 11am in order to make his flight time. This time we rolled very early and were in perfect position for on-lift at the bell... until Super B was having mechanical issues and not opening at 8:30a. So we hit the copper shuttle to center village and hit Flyer losing probably 10 minutes due to the snafu. We were able to hit several laps of Union bowl before heading back down to shift luggage into place for the airport shuttle. The snow was chalky and reasonably soft in the bowl itself - which gets a near continuous wind sift. The flats on the bottom run out were much firmer and we would head far skiers left onto the one groomed patch in the Sierra area.

After grabbing a super early lunch we hit tucker again finding a mix of very firm (not refrozen, just firm winter snow) and after trying things a couple of very soft lines with an inch or two of snow on top of smoother chalky snow. Which we did for numerous laps. Eventually hitting Union Bowl again on the way to the front side and then back up for a lap in Spaulding bowl which was bumpy firmer snow. Eventually taking the line less skied by going down under the Alpine chair and cutting back to the base of Super B.

Temps were cooler and snow showers came in and out during the day as the next storm was moving in. Perhaps 1/2" or more fell during the ski day. We did note that the crowds on Sunday were relatively minimal (even Far East lot was not full). But the regular I-70 traffic disaster was still in full effect. I wonder if everyone decided to either not ski or leave early due to the firm-ish snow and overcast lighting. Didn't take a whole lot of pics due to lighting and getting tired after 5 days of skiing.

20200301_092146.jpg

20200301_092607.jpg

20200301_092620.jpg

SalomonSkis.jpg

20200301_121733.jpg

20200301_140503.jpg

20200301_142616.jpg

I get the impression putting a chair on Tucker significantly enhances Copper's appeal. Sort of like Kachina at Taos, though probably not as dramatic as that.

Tony Crocker":3u5m4xcu said:
I get the impression putting a chair on Tucker significantly enhances Copper's appeal.

Yes it sure helps, even though the nearly guaranteed powder was nice when it was a hike-to/cat option.

Tony Crocker":3u5m4xcu said:
Sort of like Kachina at Taos, though probably not as dramatic as that.

No where near as good a terrain pod as Kachina, but definitely a good addition for Copper and long overdue.

jamesdeluxe":187xfjcs said:
Nice pix. Looks like you and the crew are making use of your Ikon Passes.

Thanks.

And it turns out we got lucky since Aspen for next year is going to be a $150 add-on to the Ikon Base pass instead of directly part of it. Other than the huge # of folks hiking Highlands Bowl I didn't see any crowds worth talking about over that way. Seems like either a knee jerk reaction to vocal mis-guided locals, or a desire to grab more $$ from Ikon. I'd have to find it funny if suddenly their business drops throughout the valley and it backfires.

The Aspen add-on is a bit of a puzzle since owners are part of of the Alterra ownership. I suspect the crowd impact of Alterra/Ikon is much more severe at Deer Valley based upon what I saw there a year ago.

The tweaking of pricing indicates to me that Alterra would like more people to upgrade to full Ikon. I think Liz will probably do that.

Back