Snowbird, March 13, 2020

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
This was the third overcast day of the week following a warmup. In terms of snow surfaces it was slightly cooler and firmer than Wednesday but not nearly as bad as last Saturday.

As on Wednesday I waited until noon to get out, this time on hold with Club Med while I baked breakfast for the group and modified my plans for next week.

I first went up to Little Cloud, which would have some of the last winter snow if spring conditions had advanced while I was in BCC the day before. Mark Malu was a bit scraped but the main issue there was flat light. I found very good snow in a sheltered line far skier’s right of the Rastas.

After a short break in mid-Gad I met Tseeb, Stephan and Michelle at Peruvian. They had been at Alta in the morning, none too pleased with snow, weather and that Collins was closed with mechanical issues. FYI the Snowbird tram is closed until further notice as a precaution about so many people in a confined space.

We traversed into Upper Primrose, then skied to Green Forest, where we watched some kids air off this rock.
IMG_5754a.JPG

We then moved to Gad 2 as it began to snow and the upper mountain fog layer lowered. I explored to find an entry through the trees to Organ Grinder, here viewed from below.
IMG_5755.JPG

The snow up there was excellent but the entry involved stepping between trees at the top of a cliff.

Next lap we found the easiest entry to Organ Grinder via the usually roped off Bicarbonate Gully.
IMG_5757.JPG

The softest snow of the day was probably on STH.
IMG_5760.JPG

Next we skied the trees skier’s right of Bananas, where Al sprained a knee ligament on Thursday. Thus he did not ski today but he swam a mile in the Iron Blosam pool.

We skied to Iron Blosam via Lower Bassackwards. I skied 13,200 vertical in about 3 hours.

Snowbird Tram sign.
TramSign.jpg
It was very cold due to wind at the top of Sugarloaf. We skied it and Wildcat a couple of times before leaving via difficult Blackjack traverse to meet Tony Crocker. Our other option to get back to frontside of Snowbird was 4 lifts including a ropetow that I don't remember riding in more difficult direction before yesterday.

Not surprisingly, Jackson Hole has shut down their tram and limited capacity on the gondola too. I assume they're allowing people to hike to the top of Rendezvous Bowl??

Back