Maverick, MT, Mar. 5, 2021

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Maverick Mt. rated to rival Turner as the most obscure stop on the trip. The appearance was not dissimilar, visible facing SE as we drove in with one top to bottom chair. The drive was through cattle country rather than the more wilderness feel of NW Montana.
IMG_0071a.JPG

The ski area is at distance under the middle of the cow sign.

Maverick is busier than Turner. The much larger parking lot was about half full and there were quite a few local families, though not enough to create any lift line. There are enough people on weekends for Maverick to arrange live music on Saturday afternoons.
IMG_0037.JPG

At the base of the lift was this familiar sign with distances to many locations.
IMG_0038.JPG

But here the distances are to other Montana ski areas.

The weather was cooler than the previous two days, mainly due to thin overcast all morning and a light breeze. Maverick is not as steep as Turner and the exact orientation is probably ESE. So the skier’s left runs have some north exposure. The upper half of Thin Air was packed powder and with grooming the steeper Sleepy Hollow was similar.
IMG_0043.JPG

Rock n Roll, next to Sleepy Hollow, but groomed more than one day ago, had firmer snow.
IMG_0048.JPG

Ridge Run to skier’s right, faced into direct sun for its upper half, but never completely softened due to the cloudy morning.
IMG_0050.JPG

Lower down we could ski north facing T. Lee or Remely to the base.
IMG_0044.JPG

We took a snack break in the lodge. If Silver Mt’s owners felt compelled to change the name from Jackass Mt., surely the need was even more urgent at Maverick!
IMG_0052.JPG

Maybe that name would be appropriate in the Catskills, but not at 7,000 feet in Montana.

The only ungroomed run we skied was Ripper.
IMG_0057.JPG

This was north facing next to Thin Air and had winter snow for its upper two thirds.

We do have one caveat about Maverick. Here are stats on the trail map that don’t add up:
IMG_0083.JPG

The base elevation is 7,000. This is stated on the website and verified by my Vertech watch, which I calibrated on a 7,400 foot mountain pass that morning. But then I noticed my vertical count after 4 runs was 6,000, and after 7 runs was 10,500. The watch said the top elevation was 8,390 feet. :-k

Later we looked up Maverick on Google Earth.
Maverick_Altitude.jpg

8,440 is the top per Google Earth. I’ve seen many areas exaggerate their snowfall but this is the first time I’ve seen anyone add 500 feet to their vertical drop. And no, that lift is at the top of the mountain; there’s nothing to hike above it.

Today concluded the pandemic road trip targeting quieter but still interesting ski areas.

Since departing SLC on Jan. 31, I skied 22 days at 20 different areas, 7 of them new and 5 days on the Indy Pass. Liz’ February skiing was interrupted by 11 days in Florida, but since Jan. 31 she skied 15 days at 14 different areas, 10 of them new and 8 days on the Loveland Pass.

The local Montana areas are so under the radar that they aren’t even in Powder Alliance or Indy Pass. But this is what we paid for TWO window lift tickets (one adult + one senior):
Turner Mt. $73
Montana Snowbowl $105
Discovery $94
Maverick $69

Last edited:
Tony Crocker":2olu7x2g said:
Today concluded the pandemic road trip targeting quieter but still interesting ski areas.
Thanks for taking us along. I planned a similar Montana road trip in the late 00s (and would've included Great Divide, just because) but was deterred by the amount of driving compared to the Alps in a similar time frame. Without the freedom of retirement, the distances out there are too much, at least for me.

In 2014 flyover and his friend John flew into Spokane for a 4-day weekend and chased powder to Lost Trail, 2 days Discovery and Lookout. That itinerary is no big deal for a whole week and could also include a visit with Lono in Whitefish.

Whitefish, Discovery and Lost Trail are all about 5 hours from Spokane. But Silver, Lookout and Snowbowl are on the way. Our longest drives on days that included skiing were 2+ hours both before and after skiing at Turner, and 4+ hours to Sandpoint after skiing Mission Ridge. Both of those drives made sense because we spent 4 nights in Sandpoint and there is a convenience factor in not relocating the lodging base. None of the Montana ski days besides Turner had more than 2+ hours of driving.

Flying into Missoula cuts the driving time, but I don’t know how the airfares are from the East. I’ve flown out of Missoula twice and vaguely recall it was expensive in June but reasonable in March.

However, for a spring trip Discovery is the only Spokane accessible area with top level snow preservation. Silver and 49 Degrees North are majority north facing but lower. All the other places have majority sunny exposure.

Thoroughly enjoyed reading about your trips Tony.

I've been so pissed off and not interested that I haven't checked in here or TGR forum hardly at all all winter. Hopefully next winter I will get back home to MT.

Back