Alpine Meadows, CA and Drive North, April 15, 2021

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Leaving Tseeb’s cabin in South Tahoe we did not get on the hill at Alpine Meadows until 10AM. Most of the east facing was in corn mode already on a bluebird day that probably reached 50F. Dave Bostedo, staying at Squaw on a short trip from the DC area, had been there an hour and taken 5-6 Summit runs. He’s here on one of our warmup runs from the Roundabout lift.
IMG_0373.JPG

The majority of our runs were from Summit into Alpine Bowl and Wolverine Bowl. Both were expansive enough not to get chewed by skier traffic except a short skier’s left part of Alpine Bowl that gets people coming from Roundabout halfway down.

Tseeb, Dave and Lucia at top of Alpine Bowl with view of Lake Tahoe:
IMG_0374.JPG

Wolverine Bowl:
IMG_0377.JPG

IMG_0382.JPG

IMG_0386.JPG

Later we skied the north facing slot D6 into Wolverine.
IMG_0388.JPG

Most ungroomed skiing was challenging. It had snowed 3 inches Tuesday and below the new snow rated to be icy. I found past noon that some of it was sun softened to be more manageable. Twice Tseeb and I took a low traverse under the Palisades to test the new snow.

There were also huge moguls under the Summit lift partway up where I ended up mostly zigzagging in variable snow. Corkscrew Gully skier’s left of that was more manageable.
IMG_0390.JPG

Tseeb also led me to Peter’s Peril, which drops under the Gasex to the top of Roundabout.
IMG_0394.JPG

Lower down the snow got heavier, but coming from Alpine Bowl the Charity and Ladies Slalom runs face north and held up best. Alpine Bowl itself was from SE to NE exposure and far skier’s right of it was good all the way to my 2PM departure after skiing 22,800 vertical.

The layout of Alpine is conducive to corn development that holds up for several hours. But it’s still much lower than Mammoth and I would say this day was comparable to a good Memorial Day at Mammoth.

It was also helpful for me to leave at 2PM as I had a drive north ahead of me. I used Highways 20, 70 and 99, eventually meeting I-5 at Red Bluff, where I had dinner and got a full charge. I drove another half hour and spent the night in Redding.

Passing by Chico I decided to take a half hour detour to Paradise, site of the catastrophic fire 30 months ago. Some lots remain vacant, though dead trees have been cleared so there are many tree stumps.
IMG_0403.JPG

Some lots have new houses.
IMG_0397.JPG

But more still have owners living in RV’s.
IMG_0396.JPG

Paradise did not give me the impression of a remote mountain town. It's on a plateau only about 12 miles and 1,000 feet up from highway 70 in the Central Valley. But there are canyons on both sides of the plateau which accelerate the Diablo winds and those canyons were full of burned trees.

The next morning I stopped for breakfast in Mt. Shasta.
IMG_0412.JPG

Shasta will not have much of a backcountry ski season this spring. Compare to June 19 of the big 2011 season:
file.php
img_9388a-jpg.13241

I recall a hearty breakfast at the Black Bear Café after the guided ski tour in 2011 so that’s where I went. Mt. Shasta is its original location but it has expanded to over 50 places mostly in the Northwest. Most locations have carved wooden bears and this one is appropriate at Mt. Shasta.
IMG_0417.JPG

Continuing north into Oregon I saw a few of these signs as I had on my drive Feb. 19-20.
IMG_0422a.JPG

Last edited:
Based purely on pix posted in TRs, Alpine Meadows always appeals to me the most of the Tahoe ski areas.

Tony Crocker":1kj3bo1l said:
I recall a hearty breakfast at the Black Bear Café after the guided ski tour in 2011 so that’s where I went. Mt. Shasta is its original location but it has expanded to over 50 places mostly in the Northwest. Most locations have carved wooden bears and this one is appropriate at Mt. Shasta.
Two weeks ago in Colorado, our family had dinner at the Black Bear Café near my mother's residence in Aurora. I was surprised to note in the newspaper-style menu that Mt. Shasta was its first location and that the easternmost one is St. Louis.

Growing up in Central NY during the 70s, my only concept of Mt. Shasta was from the soda cans but I remember it seeming exotic to me, like an American Mount Everest.
Vintage-3-Different-1970s-Straight-Steel-Shasta-Soda.jpg

Adding a few more pictures, all from Wolverine Bowl taken about 11:15. First is helmetless and hatless Tony Crocker.
E1674TonyCrocker.JPG
Next is my wife on her 3rd day in a row and 7th day of her season.
E1676Lucia.JPG
Last is Dave who has really stepped up his skiing after a couple of years of Ski Weeks at Taos in foreground.
Groomed D6 that we all skied later in background.
E1678Dave.JPG

Back