Mammoth, 11/13&14/04

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
This weekend I finally made it to Mammoth to see the results of the record October storms. On Saturday I didn't see much as a thick fog shrouded the top so chair 23 and the upper gondola were closed all day. Chairs 3 & 5 were open but they were in the cloud all morning. Fortunately Mammoth expanded the lower mountain terrain a bit by opening chairs 4 and 10 and I spent most of the morning there. I ventured into the trees once but the October snow had long since set up. This cement-like base will hold up for a long time even if it doesn't snow much more. The cloud rose a bit after lunch, so I spent some time on chair 3. I left at 3PM as the legs were burning after 25K and weather was predicted to improve Sunday.

Sunday was indeed clear, with a breeze only at the top, about as perfect as weather can get at Mammoth. So I had 6 great runs up there, the last on Paranoid. Crowds seemed less than Saturday, but much of that is due to people spreading out over the whole 2000+ acres that were open. The other 1500 acres will be open by Thanksgiving when all of the seasonal employees arrive. Overall I skied another 25K, but I needed more rest breaks than normal when skiing the steeper runs.
zooat2.JPG

sulfur.JPG

topof1.JPG

topof4.JPG

corniceview.jpg

ch23down.JPG

upwipeout.JPG

rockgarden.JPG

Back