Lookin' Sweet, Alberta 11/1/99

Major Nougat

<I>(Note from the Administrator: This report was originally posted on 11/2/99. Due to our move to new servers, the date and time attributed to this post is incorrect.)</I> <BR> <BR>I'm not a freak for the firsties, but yesterday (November 1) was so good I feel like I should gloat somewhere. <BR> <BR>Gord F. and I packed up the teles and attended at Fortress Mtn. resort, Alberta, Canada, where they're not yet open but they're cool about pre-season hiker access. Bluebird day, -15 C., light breeze, and in the valley there was 10-15 cm after a weekend storm. Battled up the access road, through a little ditch drama, past a plow, and found a cleared patch to park at 0900h. Roughly 40 cm. fresh next to the vehicle. <BR> <BR>There had been a 50 cm. snow cycle early in October, and people had been making early season turns all month. Unusually warm temperatures had intervened, however, so we were hoping that what appeared yesterday as total perfection would somehow not be resting on glare ice or marred by Fortress's famous wind crust. Well... <BR> <BR>We skinned up a convenient cat track near the curved T-Bar. There were no other skiers or riders in sight except for the early season staff flying by on snowmobiles, attending to business but giving us the friendly wave and no doubt being jealous. Easy climb up the ridge toward the chair summit, we passed a couple of blazing snow guns that reminded us jaded, <BR>virtually-never-see-the-shit Canucks how much that material sucks. <BR> <BR>Off came the skins. We chose one of the steepest backside runs and Gord dropped in. The snow was deep, cold and a bit slow, but with his fatboys he ripped that thing like it was mid-February. I followed with considerably less style and a lot more penetration thanks to my conventional shape skis. Had a couple of navel shots and hit bottom a few times, although it was snow. Estimate the pack to be well in excess of a metre deep back there, the fresh was +50 cm., and as of yesterday, not a natural sluff in sight. <BR> <BR>We made four climbs (Gordon got a fifth while I fetched the truck at the end of the day), two descents on the front and two on the back. Pure cream, pure excellence. There was nothing about this day that didn't resemble a supreme winter experience. As for crowding, well,towards noon some eight or ten riders showed up, but you know those guys: they pretty much lurk around their kickers. <BR> <BR>The only problem: it may be a while until we replicate such a bonanza. But,this being rockin' Canada and all, I rather doubt it. Latest word is that Sunshine Village near Banff, where nary a snowgun shall e'er be seen, will open on Sunday (original scheduled opening was November 11). <BR> <BR>Tired of livin' la vida roca? Try Canada, my friend. <BR> <BR>Kb

<I>(Note from the Administrator: This report was originally posted on 11/2/99. Due to our move to new servers, the date and time attributed to this post is incorrect.)</I> <BR> <BR>Good a place as any to gloat, MN. Thanks for the report, and keep on posting them. And save some fresh lines for some of the First Tracks!! Online editorial staff, due in Alberta and BC in March! <BR> <BR>About Sunshine, I spoke with the marketing director via telephone yesterday, and he mentioned nothing about an early opening - I think that he said the 11th.

<I>(Note from the Administrator: This report was originally posted on 11/2/99. Due to our move to new servers, the date and time attributed to this post is incorrect.)</I> <BR> <BR>I stand corrected! Reader Kevin has e-mailed us to advise that the Calgary Sun is reporting that Sunshine plans to open on Sunday (11/7/99) with roughly 50% of their terrain. We'll endeavor to have the story in the morning's <A HREF="http://www.FirstTracksOnline.com/news.htm">Ski News</A> update.

Back