Keystone, CO 11/27/99

jkamien

<I>(Note from the Administrator: This report was originally posted on 11/28/99. Due to our move to new servers, the date and time attributed to this post is incorrect.)</I> <BR> <BR>DAY 1: <BR>My sister-in-law, Stacy, and her S.O., David, were in town for Thanksgiving weekend. They wanted to ski, so off we went. <BR> <BR>As most of you know, there have been very, very few natural snowflakes here in the Colorado Rockies, despite what some of you think you saw on Monday night football. The High Country reported only about 6" from that storm, which resulted in no new terrain opening. <BR> <BR>Keystone's well-deserved snow making reputation made the decision of where to go an easy one. Also, Stacy has about 5 days of skiing in her lifetime, and David is an intermediate skier, so we wanted easy terrain for them. <BR> <BR>Keystone was offering about 3 green trails from the top of the River Run Gondola/quad lifts, a short blue stretch, a route down the backside of Keystone Mountain, and a route down from the Santiago lift on North Peak. The surfaces were all essentially manmade/frozen granular. It was very slick stuff that reminded me of eastern skiing, but in a bad way. <BR> <BR>David and Stacy signed up for group lessons that turned into two 2-hour private lessons because nobody else had signed up. That left me and Leslie to explore what few trails Keystone had to offer. These were very, very crowded and it made me feel like I was back at Killington, VT, dodging the ol' human, moving slalom poles. The very edges of the trails had little bumps and a little loose snow that made the turning easier. <BR> <BR>All, in all, the day, although sunny, warm and beautiful, bore out my expectation that there is not yet enough breadth or depth to make it worth the bother or expense.

Back