Crested Butte, CO 12/29/99-1/1/00

sloski

<I>(Note from the Administrator: This report was originally posted on 1/3/00 Due to our move to new servers, the date and time attributed to this post is incorrect.)</I> <BR> <BR>12/29 - 12/31 <BR>Crested Butte had approximately 50% of their runs open. However, almost all of those were beginner and intermediate with only 2 expert runs open. None of the extreme terrain was open. With a base of 18 inches, it was no surprise. What was open was well covered except for an occasional thin spot. Weather was mostly sunny, cold and no new snow. <BR> <BR>1/1 <BR>Through the night (New Years Eve), approximately 1/2 inch of snow fell. I wasn't first in the lift line but I was close. Sometimes it pays not to be a party animal. For about the first 90 minutes after the lifts opened, I had many runs and lifts to myself. FIRST TRACKS! (yes, I know, first tracks in a 1/2 inch of snow is really stretching it mighty thin.) Since I needed to pack up to leave, I had decided to quit early. Besides, all these other skiers were messing up my mountain experience. Note: Silver Queen lift was closed today (Y2K?). <BR> <BR>Summary - Until Crested Butte gets right with Mother Nature, expert and extreme skiers will be disappointed. Most Beginner and some intermediate skiers probably will be satisfied with current trail openings and conditions.

<I>(Note from the Administrator: This report was originally posted on 1/3/00. Due to our move to new servers, the date and time attributed to this post is incorrect.)</I> <BR> <BR>How much more snow is needed for Crested Butte to open some of their black diamonds and off-trail skiiing?

<I>(Note from the Administrator: This report was originally posted on 1/3/00. Due to our move to new servers, the date and time attributed to this post is incorrect.)</I> <BR> <BR>My opinion is a really big dump (24 - 36 inches). They got an additional 4 inches since I left Saturday. This won't help other than maintenance of existing runs.

<I>(Note from the Administrator: This report was originally posted on 1/3/00. Due to our move to new servers, the date and time attributed to this post is incorrect.)</I> <BR> <BR>Thanks for info! I just changed my reservations from Jan 12-20 until Feb 23-Mar 2. <BR>Good idea or not? Oh well just dont feel like skiing the blues and greens when I can wait a few weeks and get the whole package. It cost me $166.00 to change but I figure it will be worth it in the long run. I really want powder and off-trail skiing. I can <BR>ski the groomed runs here in NC.

Back