Sugar Bowl, CA 1/22/00

Pete

<I>(Note from the Administrator: This report was originally posted on 1/26/00. Due to our move to new servers, the date and time attributed to this post is incorrect.)</I> <BR> <BR>Drove up from Frisco on Saturday morning thinking the skiing would be pretty <BR>good due to some snow earlier in the week in the high country. The website <BR>boasted of 3"-5" new too which couldn't hurt. When we got there it seemed <BR>like the mountain had gone through some thaw/freeze cycles though because <BR>the new snow (about 2 1/2 inches in most places) just barely hid an under <BR>layer which was basically 48" of frozen, rutted cement. These conditions <BR>made the skiing chaotically bobsledish until the end of the day when we <BR>found some nice pockets of pow. It was my first time at Sugar Bowl. The <BR>mountain is definitely sweet (ha). Sorta reminded me of Supreme at Alta. <BR>Very nice glades and some good steeps too. We finally found the goods on the <BR>back of Nob Hill (not sure of the name here, it was the big center mountain) <BR>at the end of the day and the 4 laps we squeezed in to the summit justified <BR>the 3hr tour up to the hills. In the last two days Kirkwood has received 4ft <BR>of snow. Not too shabby. The winter may finally be here. :)

<I>(Note from the Administrator: This report was originally posted on 1/26/00. Due to our move to new servers, the date and time attributed to this post is incorrect.)</I> <BR> <BR>you shoulda gone yesterday, they got like 30"!

Back