Panorama - worth the trip?

Al Sills

<I>(Note from the Administrator: This message was originally posted on 11/14/99. Due to our move to new servers, the date and time attributed to this post is incorrect.)</I> <BR> <BR>Hi, <BR> <BR>I'm thinking of taking 4 teenage boys (ages 16-18) to Panorama for a week in late February. All are intermediate-advanced skiers. Is this area a good choice or not? <BR> <BR>Thanks! <BR>Al Sills <BR><A HREF="mailto:profsci@aol.com">profsci@aol.com</A>

<I>(Note from the Administrator: This message was originally posted on 11/14/99. Due to our move to new servers, the date and time attributed to this post is incorrect.)</I> <BR> <BR>Hi Al, <BR> <BR>My first visit to Panorama will be a week or two after your proposed voyage, so I can't offer any firsthand advice. Two of our Contributing Writers have visited Panorama, however, and their stories may be found at <A HREF="http://www.FirstTracksOnline.com/westcanski.htm">http://www.FirstTracksOnline.com/westcanski.htm</A>, or by choosing "Features" from the Table of Contents drop-down box in the blue frame at the top of this page, then clicking on the "Ski Resorts & Experiences" link which appears on the resulting page. Work your way geographically to Western Canada. <BR> <BR>Panorama long had a reputation for a preponderence of intermediate terrain. However, from what I've heard the Extreme Dream section of the summit has changed that considerably. Their snowfall stats are also not terribly impressive, but in La Niña years you might as well through snowfall average statistics for that part of the continent out the window. Last year's La Niña winter was no exception. Right now, that part of North America has the continent's deepest snowpack. <BR> <BR>Finally, if you're a Yank like me, it's tough to beat the exchange on the Canadian loonie right now.

Al, <BR> <BR>Did you get to Panorama ? If so what was the snow like we are headed there March 18th, we'd appreciate your comments. <BR> <BR>Thanks.

Not this year. See comments on Feb. 5 Western U.S. and Canada reports. It hasn't gotten much better since then.

we skied PANORAMA in winter 82.it did not have the kinda snow we experienced at LAKE LOUISE or SUNSHINE VILLAGE.it did have loads of intermed cruising runs.the surface was kinda hard pack,and i remember being not that impressed.NORQUAY had the incred steeps from the top.LOUISE and SV really were top notch areas---great PDR---and i'd definitely go back to BANFF and ski those again!

Hi i'm from Scotland and did 2 weeks in Panorama last year. I have stayed in Banff before and skied lake louise & sunshine and i would say Panorama is as good skiing as any of them - plus its on your door step so you dont have to take a 45 minute bus ride every morning & night (the way you do in Banff) Runs were great with plenty for all. Although the lifts were a little painful - mind you most lifts are painful for boarders. Nightlife is pretty quiet - which is a kind of double edged sword! Also because the whole resort is owned by one company you can stick eveything on your room key - from groceries to ski hire! - this could also become costly if you dont keep track! <BR>Overall good resort, great snow, friendly staff, lifts average (compared to Europe) - ideal for families and those wanting to keep focused on the daytime activites!! <BR>if you want more info - mail me - <A HREF="mailto:stayoutoftrouble@hotmail.com">stayoutoftrouble@hotmail.com</A> <BR>Dougie

Back