Vail 02/21/01

Betsy

I'm sitting here writing this report with a bruised and swolen knee which was the result of a pretty good crash on the 2nd run of the day. I probably should have quit then and there to avoid further injury, but with 6+ inches of fresh POWDER, how could I even think of quitting at 930 in the morning? <BR>Took Vista Bahn Bubble Detatchable Quad up to Mid Vail and took a few runs off the Mountaintop Express DQ. First run down on Expresso yielded some great bumps and freshies. Took Wildwood Express DQ to Kangaroo Cornice where I took the infamous fall and hurt my knee. <BR>Met up with a friend from Denver who took us into the "famous" back bowls. First run down we went into China Bowl and skied the trees between Poppyfields East and Shangri-La. OMG, can we say POWDER! Coming from the east this was a real treat. Plenty of freshies abound. My knee was bothering me, but how could I refuse? <BR>Went over to Blue Sky Basin-I was a little disappointed in the conditions. There was very high traffic which caused lack of fresh powder and lots of crusty, icy crud. Hit a few rocks and tree stumps also! <BR>Went back to China Bowl and opted to go down Dragon's Teeth. Really steep, full of powder and bumps. Nothing like I've ever skied back east. <BR>My knee pretty much was screaming for me to quit at that point, so after a leisurly late lunch in the Two Elk Lodge, I headed down to Vail Village while my friends kept going. <BR>Vail is incredibly huge-you need more than one day to see it all. I'd like to go back and spend a few days exploring.

Back