Loveland, CO 02/22

csb

ARRRGHHH!!! Final day in Colorado before returning home to New England. What pain! <BR> <BR>We decided on Loveland for our last day in CO because it was on the way to Denver for our flight home. We had a nice dumping of powder the day and night before, so the conditions were prime! Loveland seemed very much a local type mountain and less of a destination resort. That type of mountain is my favorite to ski, although in CO I was technically a tourist. <BR> <BR>We took off up the hill and found a multitude of sweet shots through some trees where the powder was knee deep most of the time and waist deep in some spots! Incredible skiing because the powder was light enought to turn with ease, but heavy enough to have a floating sensation when skiing. There wasn't a bottom!! I stopped to stick my pole down in the snow and it went all the way into the snow without even coming close the the bottom. <BR> <BR>After a couple of lines through the trees, we ventured off to the summit, where Loveland claims to have the world's highest quad chair... it's true.. we were well over 12,000' feet above sea level on the continental divide peering down into a nice bowl. Unfortunately, the good snow was mostly blown off the summit, so the good skiing was minimal. Nonetheless, we cruised down and did 2 runs from different parts of the bowl. We even heard some avalanche blasting taking place! (sweet ;) <BR> <BR>Had to finish the day in the trees again! On the final run of the day, we decided to venture deeper into the woods on one side of Loveland, where we enjoyed a nice shot down a short chute with waist deep powder. Great way to remember this CO trip before returning home to ski some eastern icepack.

Back