Squaw 3/4, Northstar 3/5, Sugarbowl 3/6, Squaw 3/7

Monomoy

The drive from San Jose to Squaw got really slow in the Sierra. It was wierd for an Easterner to drive on a paved road with chains at 30 mph. The last vehicle I drove with chains was a log skidder. Judging by the terrible snow driving skills I saw the chains were warranted. <BR> <BR>Got to Squaw at 10:00 most of the mtn was on wind hold except the far east and KT-22. There was basicaly no one there and I had a blast in the trees. It was wet at the base, but being an eatern skier I thought it was a good day of skiing. <BR> <BR>It snowed overnight and I put the chains on and headed to Northstar. There was a HS ski race in progress, but the rest of the hill was uncrowded. <BR> <BR>The backside of the mtn had some good tree runs. I hooked up with a 79 year old womanwho was tree skiing. That old girl was friendly and showed me some of her favorite runs. She was an excellent skier for someone a third of her age! <BR> <BR>Sentinel mountain or what ever Northstar calls their new area had some steep trees and deep powder. There were maybe five people skiing this area despite the deep powder and with a HSQ made for a nice play ground. Northstar had the friendliest people i have ever skied or ridden with. <BR> <BR>Sugarbowl was excellent. Disney peak was shut because of windhold, but there was plenty of steep stuff open. This place rocks! I skied some chutes and steep trees that were prime with wind packed powder. The skiers and riders at sugarbowl challenged themselves with some really sick lines. <BR> <BR>I wanted to go to Kirkwood, but 89 was shut because of snow south of emerald bay. This was a warm and sunny day. I actually saw a snowboarder betty in a bikini top surfing the hill. The Granite Chief, KT-22, Siberia and Headwall 6pack were excellent. The bottom of the hill was really mushy when i left. <BR> <BR>Squaw really does have the goods.

Back