Jackson Hole, 3/19/01

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Jackson was about what I expected: some of North America's greatest terrain with some of its worst exposure. We hired a guide to keep us in the best snow. We got up the tram just before the wind closed it at 11AM. Our guide took us down the Rock Springs drainage, which had nice windpack like Rendezvous at the top, with "cream cheese" powder lower down. Fat skis were mandatory for this excursion. Note: JH paid guides are NOT allowed to take clients into the north-facing Granite Canyon which would have the best snow in spring, due to national park regulations. Gates are open there for knowledgeable locals with transceivers and rescue gear.

In the afternoon we hit some interesting spots off the Gondola, Bridger and Sublette. The final run was North Hoback, which had firmed up to a surprisingly pleasant spring ski surface at 4PM (this is why we had a guide; I never would have guessed). Despite a 70% snow year only a few extreme areas, like the Alta Chutes and Expert Chutes, had inadequate coverage. The bottom 1,000 feet of the mountain is total slop, though, and we never set foot on direct south-facing Apres Vous. One of these days I'll take my own advice and go to Jackson before Feb. 15, when the powder odds are better.

Last edited:
Back