Alta, UT 3/8-9/02

A

Anonymous

Now after getting back and reading through some of the posts...and the recent weather we have had back east the past couple days, I couldn't decide whether or not to post on the best trip of my life...I decided I'll post, obviously. <BR> <BR>Arrived Wednesday night and stayed in a hotel near the SLC airport. Thursday we drove up and got to the base of Alta at around 8am and were in a short line for the lifts to open around 9am(lifts strictly dont open till 915). 1 inch of new but snowing moderately and allowed for maybe 3 inches by 10am. Flurries and light snow most of the day with a thunderstorm in the afternoon that shut the lifts down due to lightning and gave us about 3 new inches in about a half hour. Now we are up to 6 inches so far. Good fresh pow skiing. Storm was supposed to really hit later Thursday night into Friday though. <BR> <BR>We were staying at Goldminer's Daughter and so while eating dinner around 7pm the snow started up pretty heavily again and I woke up at 5am and really had a hard time getting back to sleep after looking out the window at 12 inches of fresh and dumping hard. The snow report said 11 inches overnight(till 6am) but it was drifting really deep in areas. Went down to the lobby at 730 before breakfast to learn Interlodge was called but should be lifting soon. Canyon road was closed but that would open shortly as well. Avalanche bombs were going off non-stop. Another couple inches by the time the lifts opened and now total we were at 18 inches in the past 24 hrs with at least a foot of it untracked and still snowing. Drifts were really deep and it was choking on snow type of day in some areas. Still snowing. Canyon road was going to close again at 130pm for control work so some people left. It wasn't crowded to begin with but was now even less crowded. We heard reports of a major slide in the Devil's Castle area as well as a smaller one off of Baldy that shut down the traverse back to the Germania side. <BR> <BR>By the end of the day we were up to 24 inches of snow. Saturday was blue skis and temps in the low 30s at the base and more pow was had when the Baldy Shoulder opened and all the backside stuff as well. Amazing. But it seemed like most of Salt lake City was up in the canyon as well. <BR> <BR>All in all it was amazing skiing in 2 feet of Utah fresh with no crowds on Friday. Unreal.

Back