I would like advises on which 2 ski sites to visit for my up

David Lau

I came across this website while searching for information on Big Sky and realizes this site has information to most ski sites in all over the world, congrat to Marc! I would like to seek information and advice as to which sites to visit for this coming year. <BR> <BR>I am residing in Hong Kong and is planning on making a trip during our Chinese New Year (1st of Feb)for 2 weeks' skiing. Preferable one week at one site. Part of our team is planning on going back to Blackcomb/Whistler but I have no desire to go back there for now as I have visited the mountain a few times already and would love to try a new spot that is more challenging. <BR> <BR>The place in Northern America that I have been to includes the following: <BR> <BR>Blackcomb/Whistler <BR>Utah: Snowbird, Park City, Solitude, Brighton, Snow Basin <BR>Colorado: Aspen/Snowmass, Beaver Creek, Copper Mountain, Crested Butte, Steamboat, Vail <BR>New Mexico: Taos <BR>Wyoming: Grand Targhee, Jackson Hole <BR> <BR>The few place I enjoy most are Snowbird, Taos and Jackson Hole. <BR> <BR>From this, I would truly appreicate kind input and feedback in accordance to this years snow forecast on snow condition throughout the northern America. Preferably, I would like places that could present some challenges instead of the typical family resorts.

David, <BR> <BR> Every mountain has some challenge, some more than others. At some places you must look for it, at others it's everywhere. <BR> <BR> I've never been to Whistler/Blackcomb, but several of my friends have. They all seek challenge like you do; and they all rave about the awesome terrain they skied there. With that said, I do understand your desire to ski somewhere you haven't yet been. <BR> <BR> If you enjoyed Taos, you'll also enjoy Arapahoe Basin in Colorado. The place is well known for it's challenge. I've skied there a bunch of times, so I can tell you it's not hype. The place is loaded with steep shots in the trees (Pali Alleys), there's an abundance of great mogul runs (everywhere) and there's above timberline skiing through steep couliours that will make your heart race(East Wall). <BR> <BR> They've had a great start to the season with abundant snowfall and it should only be better in February. <BR> <BR> Mammoth Mountain in California is another place I notice not on your list. They've been getting pounded with storm after storm in the last 10 days or so. I haven't checked their snow report, but I know from watching the weather channel that they are talking about 10 feet or so in the last week and I hear several more feet are on the way. <BR> <BR> There is plenty of challenge there as well. The place is very large, so you'll find a lot of everything. It may be a more ideal place to spend a week, as there is so much more terrain to explore. The challenging stuff is spread out though, so some of it will take effort to find. I would recommend anything off the ridge, and everything off Chair 22. <BR> <BR> Hope that helps!

For challenge in Canada, you can not go wrong with Sunshine Village in Banff. While they have had a slow start to the season snow wise, I am sure by February there will be no lack of snow. While I have not skied Big Mtn in Montana, I plan to in the next week or so, but it looks like it would also satisfy you nicely, but once again it is hurting for snow right now but will probably be alright by February

Try <BR> <BR>Alta in Utah (Snowboarding not allowed) <BR>Powder Mountain in Utah (small area / most snow) <BR>Breckenridge in Colorado <BR>Alpine Meadows in California <BR>Lovelend Colorado (note high altitude)

Based on: <BR>1.) Desire to try someplace you haven't skied. <BR>2.) Preference for expert areas like Snowbird (also my personal favorite out of 77 lift-serviced areas skied), Jackson and Taos <BR>3.) Current season snowfall <BR> <BR>It seems obvious to me that you should visit the Sierra this February. <BR> <BR>Squaw rivals Jackson for the highest concentration of expert terrain on one mountain. <BR> <BR>Kirkwood would likely be another area of strong interest, for both terrain and its prodigious dumps of powder. <BR> <BR>I would also agree with the recommendation of Mammoth. <BR> <BR>You would need to change your lodging base, splitting the time among North Tahoe, South Tahoe and Mammoth. But on a 2-week trip that is reasonable. I have detail reviews of the above 3 areas plus Alpine Meadows and Heavenly Valley at <A HREF="http://bestsnow.net/insdtrak.htm" TARGET="_top">http://bestsnow.net/insdtrak.htm</A>

My Recommendations: <BR> <BR>Canada <BR>------- <BR>Kicking Horse and Panorama (They both exceed 4000 ft of verticle) <BR>or <BR>Whitewater and Red Mountain <BR> <BR>USA <BR>------- <BR>Lake Tahoe (Alpine Meadows and Squaw Valley) <BR>or <BR>Arapahoe Basin and Wolfcreek

Back