Lost Trail Powder Mountain, MT 12/29/02

Jay Silveira

Lost Trail only reported 1 inch of new snow since yesterday, so I figured I would sleep in for a change and see what came up in the afternoon. The valley was just cloudy with temperatures in the mid 30s, so it seemed that the latest storm system was dissipating. A bit after noon, some blue sky started to appear so it tipped the balance towards skipping skiing for the day and waiting until the next storm (tentatively scheduled for Monday night). Things changed when E came in and said that one of the neighbors had just returned from Dillon, and reported a blizzard up at Lost Trail Pass. That was enough to tip the balance in the other direction and I headed out for some turns. <BR> <BR>I encountered only flurries (and blue sky) through the valley, but things turned into light snow up on the pass. It wasn't a blizzard anymore, but it appeared that they picked up a quick few inches of new snow. The big change from yesterday was that the temperatures were about 10 degrees lower (mid 20s), and the snow was drier. I decided to kick the rust off the Betacarves (literally) and used them for the day. There were a few inches of this new lighter snow over the heavier stuff, but since it was well into the afternoon, most things were tracked out. The skiing was good, but not quite like the powder of the previous days (even if it was a bit heavy). They’re still holding on opening the last of the steep terrain on the main mountain, but hopefully the Monday-Tuesday storm will put down the needed base. <BR> <BR>J.Spin

Back