Arapahoe Basin, CO 12/31/2002

Matt Duffy

So I didn't exactly get up early today. One thing lead to another and I didn't get on a chair until 3:15pm, but hey, 45 minutes of ski time is better than none! Of course, at that time of day you ski onto the lift with no wait, and I was able to manage 4 runs in that time. Don't know how I missed it last time, but there's a whole lot more terrain open in the Pali area than I noticed the other day. A quick left gave me in-bounds access to most everything in the Pali Alleys. Woo-hoo! <BR> <BR>Great coverage in the chutes, if not a little chopped up and kind of rough. The snow was soft enough, but just the wrong amount of tracks were in this older windlbown powder. If there were none, it would have been perfect. If there were a lot more tracks, it would have been "groomed" just right. As things were, the ride was a bit inconsistant, but then again my warmup run should be taken with a grain of salt. <BR> <BR>The next 3 runs were in some mellower trees than the Pali Chutes (Pali lift closes at 3:30), but yielded loads of fun. Tightly spaced trees, dips and rolls, and sharp bobsled turns kept all of my consciousness focused on the task at hand. It's a blessing to be forced to forget everything else while executing decision after split second decision through openings in the blur of passing trees. I needed that and it was good for me. <BR> <BR> The CAIC is predicting 4-8" in the local mountains tonight. Let's hope it happens...

Back