Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada

Jim

Skied Louise on Jan. 5, 2003. This place is hurtin' for snow. Rocks everywhere are unavoidable. I've skied for 25+ years and generally can radar the boulders but not at Louise now, they're tres numerous. Also the area may be padding their snow report; they said 10 cm. fresh overnight.(4 inches for you Imperial System lovers) There was perhaps 2-3 cm. even at treeline. <BR>Bring your rock skis if you must ski Louise, but Sunshine is only 60 km. away with much better coverage.

I skied Louise on Dec 30th and Jan 18th. Even though they've received several inches of snow since, the conditions were better in December. It apears that the wind has blown away every bit of snow they've received in the last month. <BR> <BR>Having said that, the front runs at Louise have the best man-made snow I've ever seen (I hear Norquay's is better, but I haven't seen it). As long as the temperatures stay below freezing, the man made snow show continue to be excellent.

Feburay 19 <BR> I skied the lake on the 17 ,18 and it was good lots of snow lower 5 opened a little sketchie <BR>getting in but pow <BR>whitehorn is also good yeh it's not epic but each flake is makin it better

skied Louise feb 27 <BR>Awful. Icy, crowded. Try Sunshine instead. I've had 14 days there this year, two since going to Louise and it was much much better. Marmot basin okay-ish but still a bit dry in places. Fortress OK on 8th March , Nakiska still has the better artificial snow but is groomed to race...

Finally some snow in AB. <BR> <BR>Louise is no longer icy, and crowded depends on where you go. All of Alberta finally got to see winter with recent cold and lots of snow. Precipitation continues with warm, moist, pacific air moving into southern AB. Unfortunately it's warming up to well above zero at the base of most hills. Should dip down to decent temps for the weekend. <BR> <BR>Lots of recent snowfall means the snowbase is finally getting deep enough. Fortress got a recent dump, Nakiska got a big dump around the 3rd and steady snowfall since then. <BR> <BR>Yes, Nakiska has great artificial snow, and the best groomers anywhere, but I was waist deep in powder there yesterday. Head into the trees on the far (looking downhill) left of the mountain for stellar gullies, glades, and maybe freshies. Don't go too far left until you're well under the treeline, avalanche risk is extreme and there is a huge, steep, wind-loaded slope at the top.

Well, back to melting and sunshine. What a pathetic season. So glad I bought a seasons pass.

Back