Lost Trail Powder Mountain, MT 1/12/03

Jay Silveira

The past week was dry, and the next batch of moisture wasn’t due to hit the area until Sunday afternoon at the earliest. So, I decided to take a page from the book of Matt Duffy and head up for an hour or two before closing. The moisture hadn’t quite arrived, but as I hit the pass, I could see that there had been a bit of new snow during the day. The reports from people who’d skied the whole day said that it snowed pretty hard in the morning and they’d picked up a couple of quick inches. With no real snow for a week, conditions weren’t quite as soft as they usually are (by Lost Trail standards at least) although the couple of new inches helped in this area. <BR> <BR>I just opted for a few cruising runs to get some exercise, and met up with Jenny, the proprietor of our local shoe store. She had been on alpine skis much of the day but was now on her teles getting in some practice. We hit Southern Comfort, and then finished off the day with a couple of runs on Hideout. Conditions on hideout were nice, with some of the new snow still untouched on the sides. <BR> <BR>I could see that a few people were hiking up to Bear Claw Ridge (probably for jumping, but maybe for powder). Depending on how the snow falls this week, I may hike up there and ski off the north side of the ridge for some powder next time. Lift 3 (Huckleberry Lift) is still not open, but you can make the hike out pretty short if you cut your run in the right place. The flow of moisture doesn’t look huge for the upcoming week, but there’s at least a chance of snow each day so we’ll see what it brings. <BR> <BR>J.Spin

Back