What's up in Utah?

Reid

Leaving on wednesday for Utah and I'm kind of worried about the lack of snow. Even more, the forecast looks terrible. Any recommendations?!?

Alta and Brighton will be best. Otherwise use your rock skis on anything steep. There was a 10-inch storm Tuesday and there may be more by the weekend, so conditions may improve.

I was in Park City the second week of January. They were reporting a 43 inch base but it was alot less in most of the area. Steep runs had a lot of rocks and dirt. My skis took a beating. Many of the bumped up runs had bushes, dirts and rocks showing. The groomed cruisers were in very good shape however although I would have recommended them using their snowmaking guns on the trails where they have them to cope with effects of skier traffic. I think there has been about a foot of new since then but it has also been warm -- which it was the whole week I was there.

Just got back from Utah. Our first 3 days (1/30-2/1), the conditions were iffy at best. Went to Powder Mountain twice and Deer Valley once. The conditions at PM were adequate, especially on 1/30. Deer Valley was sub-par. The evening of 2/1 brought 6 inches of freshies and on 2/2 we skied at The Canyons (had to ski there because of my buddy's late afternoon flight). The 6 inches were beautiful and we had untracked powder all morning. However, the lack of coverage was quite noticeable under-foot. <BR> <BR>We would have gone back to PM if we had time. The storm brought them 10-16 inches and they received approx. 10 more inches throughout the day on sunday, 2/2. <BR> <BR>If I were going to Utah now, I would stay north (PM and Snowbasin). Alta and Snowbird are too crowded and from what I heard at our hotel, got completely tracked out by 10:00 AM. The Park City resorts just don't have the coverage. Solitude and Brighton could be good bets though but they just don't have the quality skiing as the other places do. <BR> <BR>One more thing to report... because of the lack of snow throughout January and the subsequent dumping from sunday, the Cottonwood Canyons roads have been suseptible to avalanches. Other people at our hotel said that the roads were opened late. Meanwhile, getting to Snowbasin and PM was no problem. <BR> <BR>All in all we had a good trip. Powder Mountain is definetly a hidden gem. It's about 1.25 hours from Park City and worth the trip. <BR> <BR>I hope my report helps someone planning their trip <BR> <BR>Good Skiing!

Back