Mammoth, 5/24/03-5/25/03

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
We spent Memorial weekend at Mammoth for the 6th time in the past 9 years. Though season snowfall was dead average this season, coverage was well above due to a record 115 inches new since April 1. Both Saturday and Sunday were very warm without overnight freezing. Here I am at the top with the Minarets in the background Sunday morning:
2415.jpg

My son Adam said only the top sign was above the snow on Thursday.

Here's a view of Mammoth's top runs from the top of Chair 1:
2426.jpg

Adam is cruising Cornice, which is groomed by winchcat:
2416.jpg

We skied Dave's Run next, and then spotted Glen Plake from below.
2417.jpg

He had climbed through rocks into Huevos Grande, which has a continuous skiable line in bigger snow years.

Memorial Day skiing at Mammoth is not just for experts. There were 11 lifts and 2,000 acres open (vs. 6-8 and 1,000-1,500 in average or lower years) and I would estimate about 12 miles of salted and groomed runs. The salting firms up the snow on hot days like this, and most groomed runs have an hour or two of easy cruising, as shown by my younger son Andrew:
2418.jpg

and me:
2419.jpg

These pictures were from Chair 4, which had less skier traffic and stayed smooth longer. The remnants of Mammoth's second terrain park are in the background.

Off piste intermediate terrain was very grabby with the unconsolidated and unfrozen snow. But the steep skier-packed and mogul runs off the top were outstanding. Here's Adam in Hangman's:
2427.jpg

and
2420.jpg

And yours truly in Drop Out:
2421.jpg

and
2422.jpg

Mammoth's terrain park at the Main Lodge was still in full swing:
2423.jpg

and
2424.jpg

At this resolution the skier in mid-heli blends into the roof of the Main Lodge. He is between the flags and directly to the left of the satellite dish on the roof. Since the halfpipe will run out of snow soon, they are building another one at the base of Climax for June skiing.

As the Mammoth alpine is about 2 miles across at the top, a full view of the area is best seen from Highway 395:
2425.jpg

Not bad for May 26!

Thanks Tony for those super nice pics ! <BR>The Hangman's second pic is one of the most impressive I've seen yet (we don't see that often, in the east ! especially lift serviced) <BR> <BR>I admit that we should all go to Mammoth (the gang of east), and not ski on little snowpatches here in june, but damn it's far ! <BR> <BR>one day... <BR> <BR>until there, thanks to continue to let us know on the east section when you post super pics & reports like that !

A couple more comments: On Saturday I skied 32,200 vertical while Adam was on his second backcountry day at Virginia Lakes. The pictures are all from Sunday, when we quit at 12:45 after 18,800 vertical because I wanted to be somewhat rested before my day at Tioga Pass.

Note to Frankontour on my longest seasons, opening day to closing day:
1981-82: Nov. 25 - June 20, 208 days
1982-83: Nov. 12 - July 4, 235 days
1985-86: Nov. 16 - July 4, 231 days
1992-93: Dec. 5 - July 4, 212 days
1994-95: Nov. 26 - July 15, 232 days

In 1982 I also skied 4 days in New Zealand from Aug. 23 - Sept. 3, so in some sense I had an "endless winter" of 589 days from 11/25/81 - 7/4/83, with the longest interval of unskied days being 70.

But the honors for true fanaticism in this area belong to Ron Cram in Utah, whose http://skistreak.com of consecutive months skied is at 10 years and still going. He gets June, July and October in the Utah backcountry and goes to Mt. Hood for Labor Day weekend to get the two toughest months.

Wow ! not bad at all for the length of the seasons ! <BR> <BR>In 2001, I know some guys succeeded it just skiing in the east (skiing every months). In august, it was a little bit tough, but there was 6 turns possible on Tuck on august 1 and only 4 remaining on august 4 ! lolol. The pics in the no-bulls archives are extremely funny and crazy. <BR> <BR>On my side, I'm going for a 210th day tomorrow, for my 02-03 ski season (all in QC except 1 Burke in january). (nov 2 - may 30). It's possibly my last day and I'm not sure if it will be super interesting. Last week, the snowpatch was about 800-900' long with probably over 6' depth in the middle of the canyon. This summer, it's possible I go to the Chic-Choc mountains in early july. It would be great to ski a last time, on Mt Albert, Hog's Back or mountains like that. <BR> <BR>For the fanaticism, It's not so tough in the west to do that. There is even some lift-serviced terrain open all year long (except 2 weeks), but to do it in the east, just one year, this is enough incredible !!! (I admit doing it 10 years is really good even in the west !)

Some of you guys should move to the Pacific Northwest. Check out <A HREF="http://turns-all-year.com/indexyrs.html" TARGET="_top">http://turns-all-year.com/indexyrs.html</A>.

one of them did 282 consecutive months of skiing... shit... Ok, I understood. Why did I born in QC (and talking french) and not on the west coast ????? lol

Don't despear Frank, BEing in Quebec is pretty good when you compare to other places. All the Best places in the East are within a 3-4hr from Montreal.

To compare with Tony in the West, here is the lenght of my top5 seasons. <BR> <BR>1984-85: Nov.10 - May 29, 201 days - K-K (35)
1987-88: Nov.16 - June 14, 212 days - K-Blk (36)
1989-90: Nov.12 - May 21, 192 days - MSS-Tucks (37)
1990-91: Nov.11 - May 19, 190 days - K-K (41) <BR>1991-92: Nov. 9 - June 11, 215 days - K-K (34)
...and the last two seasons.
2001-02: Dec.7 - May 4, 150 days - Tr-MSA (39)
2002-03: Jan.5 - May 3, 119 days - Wh-MSA (38)**

(number of ski days) <BR>Letters stand for where it started and finished: MSS - St.Sauveur, MSA - Ste.Anne, Tr - Tremblant, Wh- Whiteface, Tuckerman, Blackcomb and Killington.

I am surprised that my longest seasons ended in June only twice - I reached June 8 times, including June 15 in 97. Mind you, I haven't started a season in November in the last 10 years.

As you can see, family (2nd child in Nov.) and living in Ottawa has forced me to compact my ski season, however the number of days ski (38 this year) have not suffered. ***However, I am not giving up on this season!!!

Tony: WOW, love those pictures. Amazing. Are they really only 40k?

Yep Patrick, for the 40k, you can take a little bit less quality and put some big pics.

My top 5 longest seasons (hmm, there is just this year that I should talk about)

#1 : 2002-03 : Nov 2 - May 22 up to now : 202 days (MSS - La Réserve) (35)
#2 : 2001-02 : Nov 16 - May 8 : 174 days (MSS - MSS) (30)
#3 : 1996-97 : Nov 30 - May 17 : 169 days (Blanc - Tremblant) (23)
#4 : 2000-01 : Nov 25 - May 5 : 162 days (MSS - MSS) (21)
#5 : 1995-96 : Nov 25 - April 28 : 156 days (MSS - Tremblant) (26)

But you can consider that the coming years should be like the 2002-03 one (I hope)

I never reached june. sunday ? Nope... if they still just forecast some rain (sh**)

good luck to still find some interesting ski to do in the east, Pat !

I am new to the digital camera. We bought the Canon S30 to take to an email correspondent in South Africa last December, because it costs $400 here but $1,000 there. We used it ourselves for the first 9 days of the trip.

At Island Lake this February I got disgusted with my point-and-shoot 35mm. because its plastic shutters kept sticking from condensation. The Canon S30 is more compact, all metal, and is turned off by sliding a metal cover over the lens. So, after seeing all the FTO reports, not to mention Craig Morris' in Fernie, I decided to get one for myself.

The S30 is a 3 megapixel camera with 4 options for resolution. I was told by more experienced photographers to take everything at max, and then reduce size with computer software later. The S30 design must be popular, because there are now 4 and 5 megapixel versions of it, but more expensive.

1981-82: Nov. 25 - June 20, 208 days (37 + 4 in NZ)
1982-83: Nov. 12 - July 4, 235 days (35)
1985-86: Nov. 16 - July 4, 231 days (24)
1992-93: Dec. 5 - July 4, 212 days (28)
1994-95: Nov. 26 - July 15, 232 days (22)
Mammoth has all the summer closing days. The openers are SoCal local (usually just a few snowmaking runs) except for 11/25/81 at Squaw Valley. I got married 7/24/83 and had first child 12/17/84 (can you tell?).

1985-86 was a weird year. I actually never skied local other than Nov. 16, because most of the winter storms were rain, and I'm not motivated to ski the SoCal locals in marginal conditions once Mammoth and destination areas are in full operation.

I tore my left meniscus on President's Day in 1995 and did not return to action until April 23.

Ouch for the meniscus ! (although this is not in my french/english dictionnary... but I imagine what it is) <BR> <BR>About the digital camera. On my side, in 2001-02, I spent about 7-8 films, the photos were not so good and it was long to scan all them cause I prefer to have them on my computer. So, in september, I decided to buy a not too expensive digital camera, HP 318, with 2.1 megapixels, 3 options of resolution. It's a really good camera, except the fact it doesn't have a cover over the lens (completely silly) and it takes enough time to take a pic, so forget about the "in action" pics. At least, the photos are incredible and it's less worst if I break it, as it was just something like 225$ CAN. <BR> <BR>It's so nice to have the pics right after the ski day or event, and you can take the number of pics that you want, you just don't care, it's really super good. <BR> <BR>I'm now at 210 days for my ski season, but honestly, Tony, don't laugh too much please, if you look at my report... I know there is 10000x more snow in Mammoth actually... and that I should ski there ! lol

35mm Camera and the shutter sticking. AAAHHH!! <BR> <BR>It happened only once since I had my Minolta in 86. I really love it, I find it take great pictures when I compare to some other cameras. <BR> <BR>Monday, April 3, I decided to finish the film that was in the camera before the whole family (5 yr old + 4 month baby) left on a trip to visit my wife's family in France. <BR> <BR>That morning I took a few pictures after walking my daughter to school. The temp. was -29c (-46c with wind). I took a few pictures then... jam. <BR> <BR>I was extremely lucky at the guy at the shop fixed it in 24hr, especially when I told him that I was leaving at 6pm the next day. <BR> <BR>I am externaly greatfull to this person. I took 21 films in the 30 days I was in Europe. I might eventualy post some of them. While in Europe I skiied 4 days in the Jungfrau ski region (Grindelwald, Wengen, Murren) in Switzerland, 6 days aux Trois Vallées (Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens, Les Menuires), and 3 days in Chamonix (Brévent/Flégère, Grand Montets/Argentière and la Vallée Blanche from l'Aiguille du Midi). <BR> <BR>All the pictures are still in enveloppes, I need to start putting them in album(s). <BR> <BR>Actually, the shutter almost remained stuck last year when we were at Marmot Basin (Jasper, Alberta) late March 2002. It was -31c.

Back