Fernie, B.C. 2/5

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
I was somewhat suspicious of Fernie conditions based upon last Friday's rain to 5,000 feet and my experience last year, but it was better than I expected. Coverage is 8 feet deep, so the lower mountain runs were well groomed. On the upper mountain the ungroomed parts of Lizard Bowl were a minefield of death cookies and avalanche debris, with Cedar being only slightly better.

Fortunately the upper terrain of Currie, Timber and Siberia had been skier packed over the weekend by what I call the guinea pigs and Craig Morris called the sacrificial lambs.

I spent the whole morning giving Richard a quick tour of all 5 bowls on the groomers, knowing what was likely in store for me that afternoon.

At 1PM I met Craig Morris http://far.redtree.com/cgmrep.html and his Thursday afternoon local men's group. There was a big turnout, so eventually he and I split off and skied the last 2 hours together. Craig of course knew where there were sections of decent snow even in Cedar and Lizard Bowls. But we spent most of the time running laps through Currie, where he showed me the chutes that drop back into Lizard and a few interesting tree areas I should check out on future powder days.

Craig skis about 100 days a year, but generally only about 3 hours a day. Thus the 3 hours are pedal to the metal and quite a workout for the visiting tourist such as myself.

facelift.jpg

Here's Richard riding Fernie's infamous Face Lift to the top of the "old side." This is the most obnoxious uphill conveyance I have even been on, very difficult to keep the cable at a constant height. The hook tends to ride up on your back or down toward your knees.

lizbowl.jpg

Top of Lizard Bowl: choice of groomed or death cookies.

craigm.jpg

Richard with Craig Morris. We on this site should all tip our hats to Craig, who pioneered online ski reporting with digital pics as early as 1996. Note ludicrous Fernie trail sign in background marking 30+ degree 1-2-3 face as blue. Thankfully Craig reports an increase in management competence at Resorts of the Canadian Rockies since Charlie Locke was forced out a couple of years ago.

polarpk.jpg

Polar Peak and Currie Bowl. Craig and I would not mind seeing a lift up Polar someday, though the hard-core locals prefer to hike it as they once did Currie Bowl.

Here's Richard riding Fernie's infamous Face Lift to the top of the "old side." This is the most obnoxious uphill conveyance I have even been on, very difficult to keep the cable at a constant height.
Aah...the lift affectionately referred to as "The Meat Hook".

Most of the "hard core locals" I know would rather not have seen the Timber and WP chairs installed, never mind a lift to the top of Polar peak. I suggest most people who like the idea are "post-RCR" locals. FSV Forever!

Craig is an interesting guy with a mellow attitude despite his formidable skiing ability. Even though his skiing preferences are trees and powder, he does little if any backcountry skiing.

One of the reasons for Fernie's slow avalanche control IMHO is that there is no lift access to the upper mountain, unlike Mammoth, Whistler, etc.

Another reason was Charlie Locke's stinginess. Craig reports quicker openings this year after storms after Charlie was forced out of RCR management.

Back